Photoshop CS5

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got photoshop cs5, and had anxiously been awaiting it after seeing the new content-aware fill feature, and have nothing but good words about it.

Here is a picture from a recent wedding I took:

ReceptionAreaBeforeedit.jpg

With this picture, I was trying to get a picture of the reception area with nobody in it just to show what it looked like. Unfortunately, there was mr. yellow shorts in the shot and he stayed in almost that exact pose for over 1/2 of the ceremony (which must have been extremely annoying to the bride/groom). Then there were also the birds and other people on the beach which took away from the picture I think, so I decided to try out my new copy of CS5.

Well after about 20 minutes in CS5, this is what I came out with:

Receptionarearesize.jpg

I personally think it turned out great seeing what it came from. The sky looks a bit fake, but I think it looks much better then the blown out sky in the original.

The content aware on CS5 looks to be a good thing and it looks like it did a good job. I've done similar with the cloning tool on my software (don't have Photoshop yet) and it can be a PITA but it saves an otherwise useless photo.

Was this photo shot in RAW? I think CS5 has highlight recovery and shadow protection. I saw an example on Adobe's website that took a blown out photo and brought it all back. Of course it is an advertisement and the person doing the photo had a bazillion hours of experience but it also looks like a powerful tool. My software has it but it seems that it isn't too good, I use Nikon's software to adjust that stuff.

Was this photo shot in RAW? I think CS5 has highlight recovery and shadow protection. I saw an example on Adobe's website that took a blown out photo and brought it all back. Of course it is an advertisement and the person doing the photo had a bazillion hours of experience but it also looks like a powerful tool. My software has it but it seems that it isn't too good, I use Nikon's software to adjust that stuff.
Could it be the edit was done using ACR, which has the 'Recovery' slider?

Not sure what ACR is. If it is a Photoshop tool I don't have any Adobe products. I looked on Nikon's View NX2 and I didn't see anything that said ACR although it does have highlight and shadow protection. The software I have to manipulate the photo just has a drop down box for highlight recovery and it doesn't seem to do a good job vs the View NX2.

What is ACR?

Could it be the edit was done using ACR, which has the 'Recovery' slider?

Adobe Camera Raw is a part of Photoshop and you should have it on your machine if you installed Photoshop CS5.

Since I don't have any Adobe products I was looking at the clouds and wondering how a highlight recovery program can add color. Based on the example at the Adobe website it took the blown out photo and made the photo good with no color changes or other blown highlights as is in the Photoshopped photo here. Since the person said the sky looked a little fake - I read it as he used something else other than highlight recovery which might render a fake looking sky.

I prefer the original sky, which doesn't look blown out or even overly bright to me. You could darken it slightly if you like and/or increase the color saturation a little, but the PS'd sky not only looks fake, it also accentuates a few bright areas to the point where they have become distracting.

What is ACR?
As mentioned, it is Adobe Camera RAW and it is a RAW converter, which View NX can also do. There are some major differences in their functionality though.

Canon's RAW converter is DPP.

Content aware fill has revolutionised my panoramas.

that said sometimes it produces results that I can do better using the healing brush. It's a new and different tool, but don't think it's the only tool :)

The only downside to CAF is that sometimes it leaves the outline of the object and you have to clone stamp it yourself, but that is easy and can be done in a short amount of time.

I like the feature on CS5 but it has limitations and like above you can end using the clone stamp to fix problems it creates. But it can be very useful I agree.

I like the feature on CS5 but it has limitations and like above you can end using the clone stamp to fix problems it creates. But it can be very useful I agree.

Ya but CAF makes it go about a hundred times faster. and the Clone stamp tool has been improved too I believe as it didn't take me as long to cover up the lines as it would have in CS4

This is off topic, but I would tweak your localized exposures and colors a little; they are starting to look a little artificial. But maybe not, I pulled your image to analyze it out of curiosity and it has an Adobe RGB color profile. As I am sure you are well aware of, you need to convert your images to sRGB for web.

Most reactions

Back