Photoshop CS6 Iris Blur tool!

Definitely doesn't look like it's been originally shot looking like that. Not sure if you've been back to it since posting and re-edited it or not but you should...

These tools may be for 'noobs', but people seem to forget that not everyone can afford an expensive lens, and tools like this can make pictures look great if used well..!

For me, the reason you shoot with a thin DOF most of the time is to enhance the 3D quality of an image.. The fall off from in focus to out of focus provides depth clues on an otherwise 2D image. Photoshop however, has no way of determining actual depth in the photo, and thus has no way of rendering this effect in a way that provides intuitive depth clues to the viewer. When I see effects like this, and the false tilt-shift effect, and the false panning effect, etc... the photoshopped image almost always looks flatter than the original. I'm not saying this thing won't have uses, but, I can't imagine it being useful for actually simulating a shallow DOF.

Not everyone can afford an expensive lens, that's true, but this effect tries to reproduce a characteristic that's attainable with some of the cheapest and most popular lenses I can think of.

I call gimmick on this one.

well if it allows you to adjust the bluryness I would think someone good at p.p. could layer it on creating a more natural look then the OP. (she did say she just did it really quick) though if you have money for a full cs6 suite i'd think you'd have a good amount of cash towards a high quality lens.

Definitely doesn't look like it's been originally shot looking like that. Not sure if you've been back to it since posting and re-edited it or not but you should...

These tools may be for 'noobs', but people seem to forget that not everyone can afford an expensive lens, and tools like this can make pictures look great if used well..!

You don't need an expensive lens to create shallow DOF.. you just need adequate knowledge! ;)

Wow, my thread randomly came alive :lol:

Its definitely going to be blown up by new fauxtogs and that sucks, but with the right person I think it could have useful implications!

I never actually got around to reediting that picture because my CS6 beta was having issues so I uninstalled it. But I'm sure someone could have made it look more natural.

I'd also agree with Charlie, you can create this shallow DoF effect with just about any lense! It just takes better conditions and more experience (knowledge) with certain lenses!

The content aware fill (which is the only reason I use CSanything) is much more powerful in CS6, which is great.

EDIT: not 100% true, the pano tool is the only reason I use it, C.A fill is a prouct of that.

I'd also agree with Charlie, you can create this shallow DoF effect with just about any lense! It just takes better conditions and more experience (knowledge) with certain lenses!

:hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back