Photoshop Elements?

You don't want to use Elements for raw file conversion...

Joe
Because...?

Because the version of ACR included in Elements is crippled and it's missing some pretty critical stuff like CA correction for example.

Joe

I assume you refer to correcting color fringing. Photoshop will do that. All I need is a DNG file from the camera raw. Elements does that quickly and easily.

I know it's an added step, but couldn't you convert the raw files to tiff with the camera maker's software? Then just import the tiffs into PS2.

Yes, I think that is another option. Memory cards are certainly large and cheap. I think it may be faster to do the conversions in the computer. Also I prefer using a DNG which is the raw file simply reorganized for editing in Photoshop. It is like a translation of camera raw to Photoshop. It provides more control in Photoshop than any other format. May not be a big deal but I've always used DNG for raw files.

You have an old version of Photoshop. Some day you may consider changing to a newer program. If it is not from Adobe you may have issues with the DNG files. The following is an article regarding the following. Yes I use Capture One Pro and No I am not suggesting that anyone rush out and buy it. I use it and like it. The point being DNG is a proprietary file type to Adobe.

Why I Stopped Using the DNG File Format

You have an old version of Photoshop. Some day you may consider changing to a newer program. If it is not from Adobe you may have issues with the DNG files. The following is an article regarding the following. Yes I use Capture One Pro and No I am not suggesting that anyone rush out and buy it. I use it and like it. The point being DNG is a proprietary file type to Adobe.

Why I Stopped Using the DNG File Format

:encouragement: Yep, DNG is a marriage contract between you and Adobe. Some of the other converters will read DNG but as a rule switching to DNG actually reduces the portability of your raw files. If you can't imagine ever getting a divorce from Adobe then DNG and delete your raw originals. Otherwise keep those raw originals.

Joe

My camera is DNG and I have Elements; I don't subscribe, it was a one time purchase. I'd heard/read when I got a new computer that the only way to get it was subscription but that wasn't the case.

I'm able to do a number of the types of editing listed in the OP. Some I haven't done to know for sure if all of the listed edits can be done in Elements or not. Works for my purposes.

edit - And that Petapixel 'article' is just one photographer's blog and that photographer's opinion. So I'd take anything like that with a grain of salt.

My camera is DNG and I have Elements; I don't subscribe, it was a one time purchase. I'd heard/read when I got a new computer that the only way to get it was subscription but that wasn't the case.

I'm able to do a number of the types of editing listed in the OP. Some I haven't done to know for sure if all of the listed edits can be done in Elements or not. Works for my purposes.

edit - And that Petapixel 'article' is just one photographer's blog and that photographer's opinion. So I'd take anything like that with a grain of salt.
True but the fact is DNG is a proprietary file type for Adobe is not opinion. Nikon and Adobe collaborated to get DNG in the Nikon menu as they did with some other camera makers.

DNG is an Open Source file type and hasn't been proprietary to Adobe for several years now.
Digital Negative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DNG is based on the TIFF/EPstandard format, and mandates significant use of metadata. Use of the file format is royalty-free; Adobe has published a license allowing anyone to exploit DNG,[4] and has also stated that there are no known intellectual property encumbrances or license requirements for DNG.[5] Adobe stated that if there were a consensus that DNG should be controlled by a standards body, they were open to the idea.[6] Adobe has submitted DNG to ISO for incorporation into their revision of TIFF/EP.[7]

• Digital image preservation (sometimes known as "archiving"): to be suitable for the purpose of preserving digital images as an authentic resource for future generations.[19] Assessment: The US Library of Congress states that DNG is a recommended alternative to other raw image formats: "Less desirable file formats: RAW; Suggested alternatives: DNG".[20] The Digital Photography Best Practices and Workflow (dpBestflow) project, funded by the United States Library of Congress and run by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP), singles out DNG, and states "DNG files have proven to be significantly more useful than the proprietary raw files in our workflow".[21]
  • Easy and/or comprehensive exploitation by software developers: to enable software to be developed without the need for reverse engineering; and to avoid the need for frequent software upgrades and re-releases to cater for new cameras. Assessment: Software could support raw formats without DNG, by using reverse engineering and/or dcraw; DNG makes it easier, and many software products can handle, via DNG, images from cameras that they have no specific knowledge of.[22] An unresolved restriction is that any edit/development settings stored in the DNG file by a software product are unlikely to be recognized by a product from a different company. (This problem is not specific to DNG).
  • In-camera use by camera manufacturers: to be suitable for many camera manufacturers to use as a native or optional raw image format in many cameras. Assessment: About 12 camera manufacturers have used DNG in-camera. About 38 camera models have used DNG.[23] Raw image formats for more than 230 camera models can be converted to DNG.[24]
  • Multi-vendor interoperability: to be suitable for workflows where different hardware and software components share raw image files and/or transmit and receive them.

Very interesting. I only looked at when it first was introduced. Never gave it a second thought as I never choose to use it. I do know that my Camera One Pro does not recognize it.

Is it just me, or does this sound like Adobe can take back DNG anytime they want and kill the open source aspect? As well as possibly keep the open source improvements.

DNG Specification patent license
Digital Negative (DNG) Specification patent license

Adobe is the publisher of the Digital Negative (DNG) Specification describing an image file format for storing camera raw information used in a wide range of hardware and software. Adobe provides the DNG Specification to the public for the purpose of encouraging implementation of this file format in a compliant manner. This document is a patent license granted by Adobe to individuals and organizations that desire to develop, market, and/or distribute hardware and software that reads and/or writes image files compliant with the DNG Specification.

Grant of rights

Subject to the terms below and solely to permit the reading and writing of image files that comply with the DNG Specification, Adobe hereby grants all individuals and organizations the worldwide, royalty-free, nontransferable, nonexclusive right under all Essential Claims to make, have made, use, sell, import, and distribute Compliant Implementations.

“Compliant Implementation” means a portion of a software or hardware product that reads or writes computer files compliant with the DNG Specification.

“DNG Specification” means any version of the Adobe DNG Specification made publicly available by Adobe (for example, version 1.0.0.0 dated September 2004).

“Essential Claim” means a claim of a patent, whenever and wherever issued, that Adobe has the right to license without payment of royalty or other fee that is unavoidably infringed by implementation of the DNG Specification. A claim is unavoidably infringed by the DNG Specification only when it is not possible to avoid infringing when conforming with such specification because there is no technically possible noninfringing alternative for achieving such conformity. Essential Claim does not include a claim that is infringed by implementation of (a) enabling technology that may be necessary to make or use any product or portion thereof that complies with the DNG Specification but is not itself expressly set forth in the DNG Specification (for example, compiler technology and basic operating system technology), (b) technology developed elsewhere and merely incorporated by reference in the DNG Specification, or (c) the implementation of file formats other than DNG.

Revocation

Adobe may revoke the rights granted above to any individual or organizational licensee in the event that such licensee or its affiliates brings any patent action against Adobe or its affiliates related to the reading or writing of files that comply with the DNG Specification.

Any Compliant Implementation distributed under this license must include the following notice displayed in a prominent manner within its source code and documentation: "This product includes DNG technology under license by Adobe Systems Incorporated.”http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

No warranty

The rights granted herein are provided on an as-is basis without warranty of any kind, including warranty of title or noninfringement. Nothing in this license shall be construed as (a) requiring the maintenance of any patent, (b) a warranty or representation as to the validity or scope of any patent, (c) a warranty or representation that any product or service will be free from infringement of any patent, (d) an agreement to bring or prosecute actions against any infringers of any patent, or (e) conferring any right or license under any patent claim other than Essential Claims.

Reservation of rights

All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.

Keeping the original raw files certainly isn't a problem. Camera raw files aren't readable by some versions of Photoshop (like mine) but DNG files are. Pretty hard to go wrong with it. If I needed to convert them to TIFF or PNG or any other format, any version of photoshop can do that without issue. DNG is only important to Photoshop users but it is the best format for it. Everything that people do by editing raw files can be done right in Photoshop with a DNG file.

Is it just me, or does this sound like Adobe can take back DNG anytime they want and kill the open source aspect? As well as possibly keep the open source improvements.

DNG Specification patent license
Digital Negative (DNG) Specification patent license

Adobe is the publisher of the Digital Negative (DNG) Specification describing an image file format for storing camera raw information used in a wide range of hardware and software. Adobe provides the DNG Specification to the public for the purpose of encouraging implementation of this file format in a compliant manner. This document is a patent license granted by Adobe to individuals and organizations that desire to develop, market, and/or distribute hardware and software that reads and/or writes image files compliant with the DNG Specification.

Grant of rights

Subject to the terms below and solely to permit the reading and writing of image files that comply with the DNG Specification, Adobe hereby grants all individuals and organizations the worldwide, royalty-free, nontransferable, nonexclusive right under all Essential Claims to make, have made, use, sell, import, and distribute Compliant Implementations.

“Compliant Implementation” means a portion of a software or hardware product that reads or writes computer files compliant with the DNG Specification.

“DNG Specification” means any version of the Adobe DNG Specification made publicly available by Adobe (for example, version 1.0.0.0 dated September 2004).

“Essential Claim” means a claim of a patent, whenever and wherever issued, that Adobe has the right to license without payment of royalty or other fee that is unavoidably infringed by implementation of the DNG Specification. A claim is unavoidably infringed by the DNG Specification only when it is not possible to avoid infringing when conforming with such specification because there is no technically possible noninfringing alternative for achieving such conformity. Essential Claim does not include a claim that is infringed by implementation of (a) enabling technology that may be necessary to make or use any product or portion thereof that complies with the DNG Specification but is not itself expressly set forth in the DNG Specification (for example, compiler technology and basic operating system technology), (b) technology developed elsewhere and merely incorporated by reference in the DNG Specification, or (c) the implementation of file formats other than DNG.

Revocation

Adobe may revoke the rights granted above to any individual or organizational licensee in the event that such licensee or its affiliates brings any patent action against Adobe or its affiliates related to the reading or writing of files that comply with the DNG Specification.

Any Compliant Implementation distributed under this license must include the following notice displayed in a prominent manner within its source code and documentation: "This product includes DNG technology under license by Adobe Systems Incorporated.”

No warranty

The rights granted herein are provided on an as-is basis without warranty of any kind, including warranty of title or noninfringement. Nothing in this license shall be construed as (a) requiring the maintenance of any patent, (b) a warranty or representation as to the validity or scope of any patent, (c) a warranty or representation that any product or service will be free from infringement of any patent, (d) an agreement to bring or prosecute actions against any infringers of any patent, or (e) conferring any right or license under any patent claim other than Essential Claims.

Reservation of rights

All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.

I suppose they could but there would be no advantage to them to do it. People would simply convert the files to something else. Same thing with PNG for that matter.

In doing some additional research it seems the DMG vs Non DMG seems to be another UV filter or not for protection issues. It has good points as well as bad. I suppose it is one of those what ever works for you files.

Keeping the original raw files certainly isn't a problem. Camera raw files aren't readable by some versions of Photoshop (like mine) but DNG files are. Pretty hard to go wrong with it. If I needed to convert them to TIFF or PNG or any other format, any version of photoshop can do that without issue. DNG is only important to Photoshop users but it is the best format for it. Everything that people do by editing raw files can be done right in Photoshop with a DNG file.

It would be safer to say "most things" that people do.... I sometimes switch demosaicing algorithms to take advantage of the differences between them. Try that in ACR. ACR is pretty good as a raw converter, but there's a lot more out there than what ACR provides. How about apply initial input sharpening using RL deconvolution? How about anamorphic distortion correction?

Joe

It would be safer to say "most things" that people do.... I sometimes switch demosaicing algorithms to take advantage of the differences between them. Try that in ACR. ACR is pretty good as a raw converter, but there's a lot more out there than what ACR provides. How about apply initial input sharpening using RL deconvolution? How about anamorphic distortion correction?

Joe

OK, most things people do. And everything I do.

Most reactions

Back