Photoshop help please :D

Yamaha_gurl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good Morning,

Alright so I am brand new to photoshop. Can anyone please explain to me how I can change a color in a photo? Basically, I want to learn how to change colors :D For example, how would I change the blue in this pic to red?

100_2255.jpg

TIA :D

-Maggie

The basis of many things that you do in Photoshop is making a selection. This allows you to edit certain parts of the image, without changing other parts. In this case, you would select the blue parts, then it would be easy to change those parts to any color you wanted. Also, the use of layers is key to most Photoshop work as well.

Now, to make things easier, but a bit more complicated...we can add masks. A mask like putting a black sheet of paper over the image...and when we erase the mask, the parts under the mask will show through. You can use a selection to create, add to or subtract from the mask. Also, you can use a brush tool to paint the mask on or off....so you can go back and forth and fine tune the edges, to make it look perfect.

There are plenty of different ways of making selections. The lasso tool, the magic wand etc. In this case, you could try 'select color range'.

I believe there is also a 'Replace color tool' which was made foe what you are trying to do.

It's not too difficult really but as I'm not sitting in front of my home PC it's hard to remember exactly.

One I remember is make a selection around the colour and feather it a bit. Now go to image>Adjustments>Hue Saturation.

Move the hue slider then saturation to get the colour you want.

The basis of many things that you do in Photoshop is making a selection. This allows you to edit certain parts of the image, without changing other parts. In this case, you would select the blue parts, then it would be easy to change those parts to any color you wanted. Also, the use of layers is key to most Photoshop work as well.

Now, to make things easier, but a bit more complicated...we can add masks. A mask like putting a black sheet of paper over the image...and when we erase the mask, the parts under the mask will show through. You can use a selection to create, add to or subtract from the mask. Also, you can use a brush tool to paint the mask on or off....so you can go back and forth and fine tune the edges, to make it look perfect.

There are plenty of different ways of making selections. The lasso tool, the magic wand etc. In this case, you could try 'select color range'.

I believe there is also a 'Replace color tool' which was made foe what you are trying to do.

yes the replace colour tool is very powerful but that's the one I'd need to see in front of me :)

like this?

photo.php

i use replace color in cs3 , just select the ones you want to replace and you have to play with the bars to get the color you want.

:)

like this?

photo.php

i use replace color in cs3 , just select the ones you want to replace and you have to play with the bars to get the color you want.

:)

Not quite, I want the blue in the bike to be red :D

Well im bored at work so I just fired up GIMPShop then i did a selection on the blue part of the bike once is was selected i went to color balance and change the balance to all red. the shadow midtones and highlights. It is now mostly a red bike.

Hue/sat adjustment layer. Select blues, and adjust the hue until the bike is the color red you want. The background also has blues in it, but you can easily mask this off by selecting the layer mask of the hue/sat adjustment layer, and painting 100% black on the image.

You've been given lots of good advice here..more advanced that I've done for sure. I can tell you though that blue is the fastest color..why change it? ;)

If you have Paintshop pro too, it has a simple color changer tool. I make a quick and easy selection around the bike, just to enclose the blue, then click... 1 minute job below:

I've used the techniques mentioned above in PS, but you have to be careful not to lose the detail and reflections. I never had much sucess with it. I'm sure it just requires practice tho.

BTW- nice pic ..sexy bike

original.jpg

that looks better than mine good job

I had a go using the "replace color" in photoshop. Change the selector tool to the pen with the + sign and click on the various parts of the image that contain the shades of blue you want to amend. Takes less than 30 secs. Change the Hue and click on the color box to move to a colour you want.

Works perfectly on an image like this.

I this particular photo scenario I don't agree with TCimages on technique because the floor still has a blue hue on it. I don't mean to be picky but well I am, but I think although it's much (a bit) more work it's also more accurate.
I think it's also important to note that there's "100 ways to skin a cat in photoshop"
My approach for this particular shot is...
Open image (like duh)
Create a new layer from background (the image)
Click "Layer\New Adjustment Layer\Hue Saturation"
Adjust the Hue to get the colour you want. (Red)
In the Layers Panel, click the "Layer Mask Thumbnail" on the Hue layer. With a black brush Paint on the image the areas that you want restored to the original colour - the chain, tyre stripe etc. Note: you are actually painting on the layer map not the image (learn about this)
Save As jpeg.

Note the hue on the floor

redbike.jpg

If you want a different bike colour now all you have to do is double click on the layer mask to bring up the Hue/Saturation controls and move the slider. I like the gold.

greenbike.jpg

goldbike.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back