Photoshop images

Matt.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it standard for digital photographers to edit their pictures in Photoshop? (By edit I mean touch of colors and things of that sort)

Yes it is pretty standard to use a photo editing program. We have gotten so used to the exagertated colors from films such as Fuji that unless you do some editing your digital photos will not match what we have gotten used to seeing in a photo.

Different people have different tastes about how much they are willing to touch up photos in software. Some people are more fond of getting everything right in the camera, and not touching the photo up at all. Others like to edit the hell out of their photos until they look nothing like the original. It's really up to the individual artist's taste. Also, depending on what business you're in, post-processing could be looked down upon or regarded as just another required step in the workflow. For example, in the photojournalism industry, especially when it comes to newspapers and the like, it is viewed as a very bad thing to alter the content of an image in any way apart from small things like levels and curves. On the other hand, fashion photographers often use photoshop to remove blemishes on models and touch up other imperfections. So, depending on who you talk to, photoshop may or may not be standard. But it's definitely not standard for everyone.

henryhurrry said:
Yes it is pretty standard to use a photo editing program. We have gotten so used to the exagertated colors from films such as Fuji that unless you do some editing your digital photos will not match what we have gotten used to seeing in a photo.

And that's why B&W will always be the standard.......my opinion! ;)

Matt.H said:
Is it standard for digital photographers to edit their pictures in Photoshop? (By edit I mean touch of colors and things of that sort)

Long ago it was standard for film photographers to post-process their own photos too, but for decades most have been content to pay someone else to do it. Part of the lab fee is hush money, so the lab techs don't let it slip that they have a lot to do with how the photo turns out, and the photographer can happily pretend that the entire act of creating the photograph occurred between the press and the release of the shutter button. ;)

KS;

Lab techs in the better labs are in the same class as film editors in the movie industry. Un-named, un-sung heroes and heroines, all.

Weegee was known to rearrange crime scenes to be more photogenic if he managed to arrive before the police. He felt dead men looked better in hats, so he carried an extra to put on the corpse if necessary.

EDIT: If you can find it, look for Weegee's "Victim of Auto Accident, Oct. 29, 1939", where Weegee has posed the corpse holding the steering wheel (removed from the car).

Also check out The Critic.
He was known to 'create' the shots.

Torus34 said:
KS;

Lab techs in the better labs are in the same class as film editors in the movie industry. Un-named, un-sung heroes and heroines, all.
Amen!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back