I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got PS CS and it's driving me crazy. Every time I open or save as...it opens up the familiar dialog box...and every time the display is set to show large icons...and they are sorted by type. Every time, I switch it to list and sort by name...do my business and go back to editing. Then it's the same thing over again...what's up? I can't find where I might change that. The folders in windows are not set to display large icons or thumbnails...it's only in Photoshop.

the place where you are saving them is that sorted by tiles and type or is it list and name?

maybe the folder needs to be in list form for it to read it as such

Big Mike said:
--Photoshop is ****ing me off--
Does that to me all the time, IMO it’s very complex and un-user friendly. To me it’s one of those programs write for full timer user, the 4-8 hours a day type. A lot of use there are designer and engineers in many different areas. Think about how are customers fell when we give them something overly or unnecessary complex.

This first rule of design is K.I.S.S or Ockam’s razor (look it up)

mykill said:
the place where you are saving them is that sorted by tiles and type or is it list and name?

maybe the folder needs to be in list form for it to read it as such

Yes, the folder are set to list by name. If I open the folders in windows explorer...everything is fine. But at least if I change the windows setting...it stays changed. Photoshop reverts back every single time. :banghead:

Big Mike said:
I've got PS CS and it's driving me crazy. Every time I open or save as...it opens up the familiar dialog box...and every time the display is set to show large icons...and they are sorted by type. Every time, I switch it to list and sort by name...do my business and go back to editing. Then it's the same thing over again...what's up? I can't find where I might change that. The folders in windows are not set to display large icons or thumbnails...it's only in Photoshop.
Don’t understand – I use PSCS everyday and have not experienced this issue.
I for one, would like more (detail) information, regarding which type of file you’re using, (.jpg, .tif, .RAW, .DNG, .ai, .svg)... How are you opening it...? Where are you attempting to save it...? What file extension are you trying to save as...? Are you using PC or MAC...?
Have you saved your workspace...? Have you saved your browser space...?
The positions of all open palettes and movable dialog boxes are saved when you exit the application. By saving a screen layout as a workspace, you'll be able to return to it, even if you move a palette or close the toolbox. Saved workspaces also work with the File Browser, allowing you to save your preferred File Browser setup.

To save the current workspace layout:
1. Choose Window > Workspace > Save Workspace.
2. Enter a name for the workspace, and click OK.
To choose a workspace:
Choose Window > Workspace, and choose a workspace from the submenu.
To delete a workspace:
1. Choose Window > Workspace > Delete Workspace.
2. Select the workspace you want to delete, and click Delete.
To reset palettes to the default positions:
Choose Window > Workspace > Reset Palette Locations.
To save palette locations:
Do one of the following:
· In Windows, choose Edit > Preferences > General, and then select Save Palette Locations.
· (Photoshop) In Mac OS, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General, and then select Save Palette Locations.
· (ImageReady) In Mac OS, choose ImageReady > Preferences > General, and then select Save Palette Locations.
To always start with the default palette and dialog box positions:
1. Do one of the following:
· In Windows, choose Edit > Preferences > General.
· (Photoshop) In Mac OS, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General.
· (ImageReady) In Mac OS, choose ImageReady > Preferences > General.
2. Deselect Save Palette Locations. The change takes effect the next time you start the application.

I'm at work now...and on this computer...it's the way I want it...but I can't change it (don't know where). When I open the 'open' dialog box...the files are listed and sorted by name. If I change it to display thumbnails, it does....but if I close the box and open it again...it's back to listing the files. This is OK, because that's how I like it...but how do I change the default display setting for the open/save/save as dialog box?

I'm on Windows XP, and this is with any file type.

Big Mike said:
I'm at work now...and on this computer...it's the way I want it...but I can't change it (don't know where). When I open the 'open' dialog box...the files are listed and sorted by name. If I change it to display thumbnails, it does....but if I close the box and open it again...it's back to listing the files. This is OK, because that's how I like it...but how do I change the default display setting for the open/save/save as dialog box?

I'm on Windows XP, and this is with any file type.

I guess I still don't understand... Are you talking drop down tab (File)...?
Are you talking about the Toggle File Browser...?
If it is the way you want it, then why do you what to change it...?

I'm running PS on two different computers (home & work). The problem is at home. When I save an image (file...save as)(Ctrl-Shift-s)...the default display setting in the browser (dialog box) is to display the files as THUMBNAILS...and sorted by type. As shown here.

What I want is to view them as a list and sorted by name. That's easy to change with a right click, or the buttons at the top of the browser...but every time I change it...it reverts back next time I open it.

Attachments

• $PS screen.jpg
    $PS screen.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 129
This is what it to look like, when I first open the browser/dialog box. Without having to change it.

Attachments

• $PS screen-1.jpg
    $PS screen-1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 112
Jeff Canes said:
un-user friendly
Or user unfriendly? ;)
Anyway, I agree some things might be useful but are not intuitive. I often wonder how I did something a couple of days ago when it is hard to reproduce some things ...

Big Mike said:
I'm running PS on two different computers (home & work). The problem is at home. When I save an image (file...save as)(Ctrl-Shift-s)...the default display setting in the browser (dialog box) is to display the files as THUMBNAILS...and sorted by type. As shown here.

What I want is to view them as a list and sorted by name. That's easy to change with a right click, or the buttons at the top of the browser...but every time I change it...it reverts back next time I open it.
Mike,
I am attempting to make mine open and stay as thunbnails...
No luck yet having it maintain that profile...
I have set all of my folders in explorer to view as detail...
I'll let you know if I find a solution... James

GOT IT! well for cs2 anyways....

when you get home...open it up PS and and file...once its open just got to save as or save and in the bottom left corner it will say USE ADOBE DIALOG on a button click that button and shazaam! all your worries and problems are solved

mykill said:
GOT IT! well for cs2 anyways....

when you get home...open it up PS and and file...once its open just got to save as or save and in the bottom left corner it will say USE ADOBE DIALOG on a button click that button and shazaam! all your worries and problems are solved

I don't see that in CS...looks like they did a fix for the CS2 version... :roll:

When I do that in CS, I see a list view - can't remember seeing anything else but that. Don't know how it got that way but thats the way that it is

Most reactions

New Topics

Back