Photoshop/Lightroom

Lacrossedad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone handles storing their pics. Do you leave them in PS/LR?? I have a separate drive that I just replaced and I am used to storing all pics on that separate drive. Long ago I kept them on the actual PC and that just ate up to much storage space. I was just curious as the issues concerned with leaving lots of pics in PS/LR.

I keep my Lightroom catalog on my SSD and my actual picture files on exsternal HHDs. I also have external HDDs (as well as a online solution) for backup. It works well for me as an amateur.

I have my photo library on my 1TB HDD that I use for storage. My SSD just contains my operating system and one of my games for maximum speed. In fact I've moved all my documents folders to the HDD along with my games library in order to keep my ssd as clean as possible. My external drives are just used for backups.

Lightroom opens by default into my big library with everything in it, though I have a tablet I use when I'm out and about or editing in front of the TV and quite often I'll create a seperate catalogue on that then transfer it to my PC when I'm ready and either switch to that catalogue before importing it into my big library or I just take it direct into my big photo folder. I'm just not super concerned if it takes a few seconds to apply edits

Last edited:
There is no way to store image files in Ps or Lr.

Ps includes the browser Bridge that lets you browse image files stored in your computers memory system. With the Photography subscription Bridge has to be downloaded separately from Ps CC.

As long as one uses Lr's Library module to upload to and move image files stored on the user's computer then Lr 'remembers' the memory path to those files.
The image files/catalogs/collections are not in Lr. Which is why, if one uses their computer's file management app to move image files/catalogs/collections Lr then has no longer knows where those files are.

A highly recommended guide to managing digital image files is:
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as one uses Lr's Library module to upload to and move image files stored on the user's computer then Lr 'remembers' the memory path to those files.
The image files/catalogs/collections are not in Lr. Which is why, if one uses their computer's file management app to move image files/catalogs/collections Lr then has no longer knows where those files are.

I store my photos on a 4TB HDD and use exactly this method. Works fantastic and keeps things very organized.

I use a laptop these days so keep most current stuff on this unit. I have a 1 tb and a 2tb external that I plug in every so often and run the backup program to save anything new since the last save. (Old retired guy way to do it)
As stuff gets old, or not accessed, I'll move instead of copy to clear space on the laptop.

Most reactions

Back