Photoshop... Love it? Hate it?

tam_ried

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of photoshop, I love creating fantasy images however I know that many photographers don't like it at all. Just thought it would be interesting to see how many of you are fans (or not) and what your views on photoshop are?...

Good photographers don't need it? It is the digital dark room? It is super amazing and my life would be pointless without it?

Also would be great to see the thing you have created in photoshop?

Here is one of my first photoshop creations... I turned it into a shampoo advert for my portfolio...

Attachments

• $image-3919944394.jpg
    $image-3919944394.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 234
I love using photoshop, but no "professionally" although, I am 16 so I don't really do anything professionally, but I think you know what I mean :p I personally really like using Lightroom for my RAW photos, and Photoshop just for messing around. Just my thoughts!

I love creating fantasy images however ...

Do you have any idea what that really sounds like? It sounds like you create fantasy images in PS because you have no idea how to do it otherwise... ie, in camera.

You know, it sounds like "I'm a natural light photog" which really means "I have no idea how to use lights."

It might sound better if you had more posts :grumpy:

@ c.cloudwalker

And how do you suppose you recreate the image I posted in camera?

:)

@ c.cloudwalker

And how do you suppose you recreate the image I posted in camera?

:)
While we wait with bated breath for that answer, I have a question.

Just out of curiosity, did you shoot any of the elements in your composite? The woman? The fish? The shampoo? The water? All? Or do you get your images from stock, or just found on the web or what?

I love the image, btw, and I love my Photoshop. :thumbup::D

I do everything in my power when creating an image to make it so that I DO NOT have to use photoshop. I really can't stand the interface, or the amount of RAM that it demands. If there's a situation where I NEED photoshop, I will use it. I just prefer to get as much "right" in camera as possible.

Photoshop or Gimp or whatever photo-editing software is nothing more or less than a necessary tool to "develope" digital imagery, for me. While I might have spent long hours in the darkroom hunched over the enlarger table I now spend at a comfy desk.

Art is Art, doesn't really how it's created to me. ;)

Thanks Buckster :)
Yes I shot all of the images... :) I don't like to use stock unless I need a tornado or something else that I can't shoot... I put the gold fish in our pond and am happy to say he is still alive:)

Thanks Buckster :)
Yes I shot all of the images... :) I don't like to use stock unless I need a tornado or something else that I can't shoot... I put the gold fish in our pond and am happy to say he is still alive:)
Nicely done!

I've seen some fantastic composite photos which have been pulled together with the photo being only a part of the process. I think some photographers get hung up that "photography" must be a loan art - that if its combined with other mediums or ideas that it loses its purity.

Generally those people are not wrong - however what they fail to do is to state their full meaning, which is that documentary style photography should be this. They try to paste that criteria over the whole medium which is wrong (at least in my view, if you can defend it I'll hear the argument).

In the end the only time I feel that its important is when asked how something was produced - and there in the photographer should retain their dignity and remain honest.

I really like the image, and I also love photoshop. I dont always use it to modify things extensively, but when I do its a lot of fun!

I'm not a purist. I'll get it as right as I can in camera but if I don't then oh well. Unless the photo is OOF then I'll do what I have to to get the photo where I want it either with hardware or software

Don't love it, don't hate it. Photoshop is just another tool to be used. Like any tool it can be used in an acceptable manner or an unacceptable manner.

Most reactions

Back