Photoshop Noob CC please

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a tutorial that explained how to soften portraits, and I thought I'd try it on one I took of my daughter.

I adjusted levels, applied a gaussian blur to a layer and erased the detail areas around the eyes and mouth. While I don't always like the black and whites with selective coloring, I did in this one. I wanted to remove the spot in her nostril, but I couldn't ever get it to look just right. The healing brush didn't do much and a light airbrush didn't blend. Advice on that would be great. Thanks for looking.

Ryan

3178082353_afd5ac0c05.jpg

Here's the original:

3178082417_837b959aa0.jpg

bump

That bad?:blushing:

The Patch tool is a good one to use (shortcut J / Shift+J) try using that for the nose, as well as getting rid of the random hair across her forehead. Using Hue and Saturation for effects is also fun to use. got to each color and take out the saturation and bring out the colors you want. Clone Stamp is also another tool to use as well.

The Patch tool is a good one to use (shortcut J / Shift+J) try using that for the nose, as well as getting rid of the random hair across her forehead. Using Hue and Saturation for effects is also fun to use. got to each color and take out the saturation and bring out the colors you want. Clone Stamp is also another tool to use as well.

Reduce the opacity of the blurred layer, around 30%.

Thanks to you both for the comments. I'll remove the stray hair and reduce to opacity of the blurred layer.

Do you have any techniques for removing reflections in the pupils?

Thanks,
Ryan

I like your reflections. It really makes the eyes pop :)

Thanks. I like the catch lights (hope that's the right term). They were in the photo and not added in PS, but if you view the larger photos you can see the umbrella more than I would like. I wanted to reduce the reflections but keep the catch lights.

Ryan

I wanted to reduce the reflections but keep the catch lights.

I know polarizing filters can reduce or even eliminate some reflections, but since some of the reflection is probably apparent in the diffuse light it may not work.

You could selectively increase contrast with any number of tools to reduce the effect, but at what point will your just prefer to try and get it in camera..

IME catchlights are easier to fake than any detailed edits.

-Shea

I know polarizing filters can reduce or even eliminate some reflections, but since some of the reflection is probably apparent in the diffuse light it may not work.

You could selectively increase contrast with any number of tools to reduce the effect, but at what point will your just prefer to try and get it in camera..

IME catchlights are easier to fake than any detailed edits.

-Shea

Thanks, Shea. You're right, I would much prefer to get it right in the camera. I was just working with what I had. I really just started playing around with the photo and liked the way it was turning out, so I thought I'd post it to see what others thought.

I'm still trying to improve my lighting techniques.

Ryan

Most reactions

Back