Photoshop or Aperature

bakstreet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using Photoshop for the last couple of years and although I haven't mastered it, I have become pretty comfortable using it. I continue to learn new techniques almost daily.

I recently bought a MAC and was just wondering what everyone thought. If you had a choice as to which editing software you would use, would you choose Photoshop or Aperature?

I don't know much about Apple's Aperture...but I believe it to be similar to Adobe Lightroom. If that's the case, they they would be two different types of software. Photoshop is the ultimate image editing program that can do just about anything you could want.

The other type of software is a 'workflow' software that is designed for dealing with a large number of images (most likely RAW) and making the editing process faster and more streamlined. Good for a lot of little edits but not so good for more in-depth stuff.

I'm with Big Mike. Aperture is very similar to Lightroom where it allows you to make global changes to single and multiple photographs and has a lot to do with workflow. I'm not sure about aperture, but Lightroom allows you to export an image to photoshop for selection editing after you have made adjustments like exposure and white balance. It's also very helpful for cataloging.

Oh, okay. Well that pretty much answers that. I feel like I am totally relearning how to work on a computer now, after getting this Mac. I was told that they had a program similar to PS and assumed it was Aperature.

get them both (of course i mean to get them both legally, ahem) because i have them both and can tell you this:

Aperture = amazing post-processing software for image enhancement

Photoshop = amazing photo manipulation software (but you can also do the same things aperture does, just not as easily)

get them both (of course i mean to get them both legally, ahem) because i have them both and can tell you this:

Aperture = amazing post-processing software for image enhancement

Photoshop = amazing photo manipulation software (but you can also do the same things aperture does, just not as easily)

You dont know what you're talking about photoshop isnt only for manipulation, you can do all sorts of enhancements or corrections as you said aperture is good for, and I dont know why you say not as easily? I have never used aperture so I dont know what thats like but its not like its a hassle in photoshop.

I use both. Aperture is great to do your basic raw conversion, tweak here and there and also organize and rate your, photos. For most things, after aperture I'm finished, if I want to do more specific manipulations or adjustments, I then go to Photoshop. Aperture/lightroom is not meant to replace photoshop, it just helps you spend a whole lot less time in photoshop.

You should be able to use the free trial, and see if you like it. There is a trial of lightroom also, and I think both are the same price, ow within $50 from eachother. So try 'em out.

My only complaint, is Aperture loves Ram, But since you just got your mac you should probably be good. 2gig is the standard now shipping from apple. Its a bit sluggish sometimes with only one gig on my macbook, I just haven't gotten around to buying a few more gigs of ram.

I use Aperture. It's "ok". There's allot it can't do and allot of file formats it doesn't support. It also LOCKS you into using a copy of all your files. You can't even view anything without copying or moving :( it into it's special folder. Part of it's non-destructive workflow. Working in Adobe CameraRAW with JPEG or your camera's RAW files is also non-destructive tho so I don't get the advantage... only the disadvantage of filling up your HD twice as fast.

Aperture does support great viewing (but I think I remember it creating yet another folder for fullsized or nearly fullsized "icon" previews) and tagging for sorts and what not but bridge has everything it has with the exception of being able to assign your custom tags to a hot button in the GUI.

Aperture is very fast for simple edits too but as soon as you more than 6 or 7 sliders it's dead-dog-SLOW! I've never seen anything so slow. And I'm using the newest version of Aperture on an 8-core MacPro... Only 4GB of RAM though :(

Apature mostly just has a "beautiful" GUI. And if all you're doing is sorting, and bringing them in from your camera's card then I highly recommend it. I suppose it could also be used as a replacement for Bridge but that's kind of a pricy replacement when you already have Bridge (comes with PS) and when there are the likes of GraphicConverter for $35 and GC is a few thousand times more powerful than Aperture. <--- honest estimate. ;)

You dont know what you're talking about photoshop isnt only for manipulation, you can do all sorts of enhancements or corrections as you said aperture is good for, and I dont know why you say not as easily? I have never used aperture so I dont know what thats like but its not like its a hassle in photoshop.

No... i DO know what I'm talking about.... I never said those enhancements were difficult in Photoshop, they are just extremely easy/efficient in Aperture

.... try it for yourself (and watch the short instructional video's on apple's website)

Aperture is very user friendly IMO. Photoshop you kinda have to learn it and get used to it to aquire it's full potential. With that said, Photoshop has A LOT of things Aperture doesn't have which can manipulate your picture, add things, use layers, etc. Aperture is mainly to enhance your photos, correct your exposure, everything you would do in a darkroom. Aperture 2 gives you plug-ins such as Dodge & Burn which is a very neat addition and your workspace is very organized and very easy to understand and navigate. If you mess up, don't worry because it wont replace your original, just copies it. But like Bifurcator said, it will take up more space and RAM to copy and make different folders so you would have to ultimately get more RAM and/or external hardrive. But with Aperture, it finds all those files for you so you don't have to look around for them. I'm running on 250GB and 2G of RAM on my MacPro 4Core and it's working pretty good.

Aperture 2 is simple, user-friendly, and enhances your photos with subtle effects so you wont have to try too hard to get the picture you want. Export it to Photoshop and fine tune the photo to perfection. Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back