Photoshop problem, i think...

KhronoS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.constantinchirila.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok...been modifying photos for a while and today noticed something...
When i Save As a JPG.. it seems that all the colors seem to wash out and the picture start to get a little desaturated...

Tried a lot of things, like saving in different formats, different color spaces.

But every time i open the result it's the same...

But if for example the result i open back again in photoshop it looks like it's supposed to...

Anyone has any idea?

are you working from a RAW file?

No, i'm working from a JPG...

When you say it looks different do you mean it looks different in a browser window then it does in PS?

It looks different in any other "Image viewer" i use, including browser window.
So to be clear, only in photoshop looks good. In other image viewers looks a little desaturated and the color seems to was out (there aren't the same vivid colors as in photoshop) (in all of them looks the same, not to me misunderstood that it look differently from one image viewer to other)

id be quite sure that its still a colour space issue. In photoshop you can have your preferances set to sRGB but it can still be set to Adobe RGB for an individual image.
In PS try going to the edit menu then checking that not only does it say sRGB in the 'Assign Profile' but ALSO through the 'Convert to profile' section.
If it works you should see the image in PS turn the same as how you see it in image viewers... then its just a case of editing it to look right again.

id be quite sure that its still a colour space issue. In photoshop you can have your preferances set to sRGB but it can still be set to Adobe RGB for an individual image.
In PS try going to the edit menu then checking that not only does it say sRGB in the 'Assign Profile' but ALSO through the 'Convert to profile' section.
If it works you should see the image in PS turn the same as how you see it in image viewers... then its just a case of editing it to look right again.

I sort of agree...

In photoshop you have a "working space", usually Adobe RGB 1998, this is independent of your "input" profile assigned to your image from your input device, ie your camera, scanner, etc.

I would suggest you convert the image profile (most likely SRGB) to Adobe RGB 1998, this will embed your SRGB profile into the image as an Adobe RGB 1998 profile.

From what I understand most browsers ignore any input profile then apply the Adobe RGB 1998. So converting your current profile to this before it hits the browser may correct it entirely.

This colorspace stuff is extremely confusing.

For example, I have a half dozen prints of the same image because it was too saturated with color. I was using Adobe RGB 1998, then printing in sRGB (I think). To get skintones and other colors that didn't look extremely saturated, I have to work in sRGB, then print in Adobe. I just don't understand all this and I am hesitant to send out an pay for larger prints in case they are going to look like too much saturation.

I did as you said and didn't saw any improvement.
Here is a picture where the image from the left is how its supposed to look, and the one from the right, it's how it looks viewed with an image viewer.

66856992cd2.jpg

Now, i'm very well confused. Which is the right color space to use? This question is to know just in case.

LATER EDIT: I thing i'm starting to figure out something here. And yeah i think you are right, it is the color space. I converted the file from photoshop in sRGB and was looking exactly as the result. But it seems that i do something wrong when i save it in Adobe RGB , because the jpg it saves in sRGB.

ANOTHER EDIT: Well i solved the problem, seems that the image viewer was faulty. When viewing images it was automatically converting it to sRGB. So now i see that all the people will see the image in sRGB rather then Adobe RGB.
Is there other thing to do?
At this stage i am very very confused and very much disappointed, because i am starting to see the mistake in all other photos, and i still don't know a convenient solution to this :(

Relax, the answer is simpler than you may think.

You are editing the image in some default color profile, probably Adobe RGB or Prophoto, depending on how it was imported. Either of those are nice roomy spaces to edit in.

HOWEVER, most simple viewers don't look at the colorspace info imbedded in the file and just assume the file is sRGB (which is the Web standard for color) and will display your images with weak, dull colors.

So the answer is to convert your file into the sRGB color space and then save a copy for viewing with browsers or simple viewers. Edit>Convert>sRGB

so should the camera settings be sRGB? I figured out that I thought my images were being converted to sRGB but I guess they were not. So when I changed it my images definitely went flat!

If my skins tones are then off, should it be changed in photoshop or is it my lighting is off? Boosting the saturation doesn't always help...
I'm glad I finally figure out why my prints were not matching what I saw in photoshop, but how do I make the color pop now?

Relax, the answer is simpler than you may think.

You are editing the image in some default color profile, probably Adobe RGB or Prophoto, depending on how it was imported. Either of those are nice roomy spaces to edit in.

HOWEVER, most simple viewers don't look at the colorspace info imbedded in the file and just assume the file is sRGB (which is the Web standard for color) and will display your images with weak, dull colors.

So the answer is to convert your file into the sRGB color space and then save a copy for viewing with browsers or simple viewers. Edit>Convert>sRGB

I know that this is the only solution, this is why i was very sad. Because in Adobe RGB , the colors, as nkmaurer said, pop out... but in sRGB the colors became dull, even if i convert it in photoshop and then save it. It's the same thing.

LATER EDIT: What i can't understand, is why i could point out the difference by taking a print screen?

Most reactions

Back