Photoshop programs and 35mm?

I guess whether a lab's scans will be good enough will depend on the individual lab. You could try a few, Eckerds and, well I don't know what labs you have over there... but if you find the results good enough for Photoshopping and printing then you may want to stick with that. Personally my experiences with the standard scanning service provided by most chemists or shop labs has not been good - often not even good enough for web use, never mind printing, they seemed more like a digital contact print than anything really useable. Plus even if the scan is decent it'll almost certainly be a Jpeg, and I'd rather have a lossless format for Photoshop.

Of course cost is the other issue. I completely agree with the point about the scanner paying for itself vs shop scanning costs. Time is also an issue, and scanning a whole roll of 35mm film with a flatbed scanner is not a quick process, but you can always read or something while it's scanning.

Mysteryscribe, you don't feel like you need a digital camera? This is news to me :lol: You make a very good point though, one that I agree with. Everyone's busy enough convincing themselves they need to go digital without us telling them that too. I went digital because I wanted to rather than because I needed to. It wasn't to replace film, but to complement it. I still see definite advantages to shooting film and processing digitally. Even if I manage to get a darkroom set up again then I'll probably still continue to scan film for Photoshopping as well. I just like the variety, the different work processes and different results. Insert generic analogy about painter's palette here.

Oh I just shoot one negative a day usually but I had to buy a scanner or two for that reason. Also flat bed because i shoot many sizes of film.

I like film frankly because i can be a little sloppy with exposure I think. Also i hate to invest in too much new technology. I don't have the time for the leaning curve.

My digital amounts to one very cheap pns for ebay.

I have no idea where this is all going but I do believe that one should weigh whatever he or she chooses to do carefully. Get the most for your money whatever you choose to do is my advice. Try film though if you can. It is has been great to me.

As for the lab if the product could not make a better 5x7 than I can make from my home scans i wouldnt use them but I have tested both and they do. But for gods sake check it out before you make any life decissions. You can always stop doing it and buy a scanner.

If you are doing one or two negs a day you need a scanner... If you are doing a ton of stuff you need a scanner.. However if you dont want to spend a lot of time in front of the computer a cd might work for you. Dont rule it out without some thought.

About the not wanting a digital camera the little one I have is more than enough for me. My son in law keeps after me to buy a dslr and help him in his business. I tell him no thanks. If I come out of retirement it will be for my own reasons. A dslr just has to many little dials and buttons and menus for me. Especially as long as what I know still works.,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back