Photoshop Question regarding Slice Tool

cestlefun17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot on film and my film scanner scans a strip of negatives, giving me files with multiple images on each. I would like to take one of these files in Photoshop, chop it up into individual images, and then save it out as separate files.

I thought the Slice Tool was meant for this but I can't figure it out and Google isn't helping. I do not want to Save for Web, I want to save uncompressed TIFFs.

Thanks!

I don't know how how to use the slice tool to do what you want, or even if it's possible. I'm able to make multiple selections in preview mode before scanning, and get the files separately right out of the scanner.

What I do in situations like you're describing though is this: Open the file, then crop to one of the images you want. Save it as a TIF or anything else you like, then undo or revert or go to the top of the history panel, whichever you like best, to the point where you're back to the whole film strip again, and repeat until you've done them all.

Slice tool is made for dividing up JPEG illustrations, allowing urls to be assigned to each and then save pieces and html code. So it won't do what you want.

As Buckster said, just select each frame, copy the selection (Ctrl-C), open a new file Ctrl-N (by default the new file will have dimensions of copied selection), then paste the selection into new file (Ctrl-V)

Easiest way is to bring up the scan - select the first shot you want (usually use Rectangular Marquis Tool) - hit Ctrl-C - Ctrl-N - Enter - Ctrl-V - Save New file in tiff. Go back to original shot and repeat as needed. Takes just 15 seconds or less per .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back