TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how do i get a regular picture into a bronwish and white color
almost make it look as if it where old?
thank you
i have cs3

a black and white photo? many many ways. one of the easiest is "image" "adjustments" "photo filter" then choose a colour and adjust the density to the desired level. but i think this should be in a different forum.

I think they mean sepia. Convert to B/W, and add a low-opacity layer of sepia coloured brown above it to add the colour cast. That would be the simplest way of going about it (and probably the least authentic too).

I think they mean sepia. Convert to B/W, and add a low-opacity layer of sepia coloured brown above it to add the colour cast. That would be the simplest way of going about it (and probably the least authentic too).

where is the "low-opacity layer of sepia" ?
or how do i apply it?
thanks

where is the "low-opacity layer of sepia" ?
or how do i apply it?
thanks

There is a little button on the right hand end of the top tool bar in photoshop titled "HELP" Ckick it and search for Sepia Tone and follow directions.

If you are truly at this much of an entry level in photoshop which has a huge learning curve I would suggest that you go take an intorduction to photoshop class somewhere locally. Alternatively you can search Youtube and Google for video tutorials that will help you learn the basics so that you at least understand the terminology of the process.

BTW not trying to be a jerk to you it is just that it is obvious that you as yet don't really have any idea how to beging to use Photoshop and for us to try and teach you before you even know how to navigate in the program is a huge task. So what I am suggestiong is really the course of action that would be the most productive to you.

BTW, you can't add any form of color to a truly B&W image, either "grayscale" or "bitmap" in Photoshop-speak. You can only do it with a color image. The trick is that after converting the image to B&W by what ever method you like the image must be converted back into an RGB, or other colorspace, image. If you leave the "Image/Mode" in "grayscale" or "bitmap" you can't apply colors.

Personally, when converting a color image to B&W, I usually use a "Color Mixer" Adjustment Layer to do the conversion to monotone. The image data remains a 3 channel "color" image. You can then colorize the image using a variety of methods. One is to add a "Hue/Saturation" Adjustment Layer and check the "colorize" option. I skipped PS/CS3 so I don't know if it has the same Adjustment Layer presest as CS4. In CS4, there is a preset for the Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer to produce a decent sepia effect.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back