Photoshop question

scrutiny1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I've been considering photoshop for a while and I thought I'd probably wait for CS3. I have a 512 mb macbook, and I was wondering if photoshop CS3 will run well on my computer. I know I need it for my photos, but I still want it to run quickly and not screw up my macbook.

Thanks,
William:) :)

It should work fine, my computer has 256 MB of RAM (it's old, and neglected, I know...) and Photoshop works well without much slowing (so long as I'm not using any other intensive apps at the same time).

Nothing irritates me more than stupid programs I can't run on my computer (i.e. aperture) Is yours by any chance a mac?

ok.....what operating system are you guys running?

which version is your photoshop Peacemaker?....it is hard for me to beleive that you can run new version of photoshop with 256MB of memory.....i have 2GB of RAM and i just find it OK (1 GB would be bottom line)......i have a dual core PC running XP and CS2

it depends on the configuration of your PC.....video card (or processor if video is not good), and RAM

i've never use a MAC....so i'm not sure how it works....but with a PC running win XP....512MB is just barely enough to run photoshop at snail speed when opening large photo (10MP)...that's why i initially upgrade to 1GB...and then recently upgrade again to 2GB becuase i always run out of memory processing large photo with 1GB

It really depends on what you want to do to photos and hold large they are. I have a mac and I read CS2 with 512 for a while and it drove me crazy. I upgraded to 1.25gigs and it runs fine. I would think that 1 gig of ram is the least that you want for PS3. With all the new features that should be in this edition, it will be worth the extra money to get the ram. If you are going to spend $400 on Photoshop alone, or $1200 for the Creative Suite, why not spend the $100-$200 to get the extra ram?

Lol, no, my comp's not a Mac, and yes, I am in fact running CS2. It can get pretty sluggish when opening pics, I guess I must be too used to a mediocre (at best) computer. None of the pics are more than 6MP though...

Looks like it's just about time to upgrade my comp! Lol...

the only reason i can think of is that your video must be loaded with plenty of memory to share the load of your RAM........or you are running win98 or winME.....otherwise....it just seems like a miracle to me....lol :p

My iBook G4 handled the CS3 beta demo (2 day trial) just as well as it does PS7. It's super fast, but its not excruciatingly slow. I'm only working with 512MB of RAM. My files are, at largest 6 megapixels. The MacBook should do just fine, seeing as it is a newer, more powerful, Intel "version" of the iBook.

As a side not, I was under the impression Aperture could be run on the MacBook...it is shown running it on the Apple website (in a picture). I don't really pay too much attention to Aperture as I use Lightroom.

512MB is fine with MAC system i guess.....with winXP....you'll be hitting your head like there is no tomorrow waiting for the effects to load.......why the PROs (computer) dont like winXP....or windows in general

Yeah, I'm running Windows XP, it can get pretty frustrating sometimes (I guess I must just be very patient, because it doesn't seem that bad)

i guess it is like comparing image quality of a low quality P&S and a high quality DSLR......if you've always been using a low quality P&S.....you'll think the quality is good...nothing wrong with it....but once you switch to a high quality DSLR and have used it for years.....and one day someone ask you to switch back to a low quality P&S........then you'll notice the huge difference....the difference is HUGE.....i guess i'm just experiencing this huge different....is like comparing dial up and high speed.....someone would say dial up is not that bad....but if you ask a high speed internet user to use dial up..........that is exactly how it feels......

Yeah, I know for a fact that that's exactly what's happening here.

I really should upgrade soon.

Most reactions

Back