Photoshop question

ella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I am hoping that someone could help me out with something fairly simple on photoshop.

Whenever I trace the outline of an object or person from a photo, using either the eraser to delete the background, or the lasso tool, and then paste it onto a new background, I nearly always get a white line of pixels on my object. I use the magic wand to select my object, and then paste it onto the new background. I've tried changing the tolerence of the magic wand, and that helps somewhat, but sometimes selects chunks of my object. Is there anything else I can do? I've messed around a little with the blending options, but haven't found anything that really works

TIA :)

zoom!!!!! and use the magnetic lasso....change the setting to be very sensitive..and take your time

md

well that and you could change to quick mask mode and paint the selection... quick mask mode helps allot sometimes, but if you want it done right use the laso, but not the freehand one, the polygonal lasso, use combinatios of low tolerance magic wand, quick mask mode and polygonal lasso, it sometimes is very slow, specially with big images, but thats what I use and you get more control with that

I suggest duplicating your layer and using the layer mask to paint away the stuff around the selection, and as MDowdey said, zoom way in and take your time. Do it right. If you make a mistake, switch your foreground color to white and fix it. You haven't actually deleted anything.

You can also use the pen tool to make selections. I find it easier than the lasso tool. You just click points along the edge and it plays connect the dots. When you are done you right click and choose make selection, and then you have the option to feather the selection if need be.

^^^ what matt says... everything on a new layer and take your time.. can always select the area ans then use select>modify>contract for a quicker selection to get rid of the line.. but zoom in close and take your time. I always use quick mask for the tricky bits... it's just easier to trace over what you want :)

Thankyou! :) Will try all of those suggestions next time!

Most reactions

Back