Photoshop selections question

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to do something and I'm sure I must be missing something obvious because it's not working and seems like it should be simple. Here's what I want to do:

1. Make a selection
2. Copy the selection to a new layer
3. Return to the original layer, inverse the selection, copy that selection to a new layer

Where it breaks down is between steps 2 and 3. I make my selection, hit CTRL+J to copy it to a new layer, and when I do, the selection deselects on the original layer. So how can I copy a selection to a new layer AND have the selection stay selected so I can return to it to inverse it?

I really wish I was good enough on PS to help you. I've watched plenty of videos lately. What version of PS do you have? It may help if someone chimes in on your issue.

After copying the selection to another layer (Ctrl J) place the cursor on top of the square on the new layer and click. This will select the new layer and you can go back to the original layer and inverse it.

You can also create a new work path out of your original selection, then create your new layer, then back to the original layer and CTRL + mouse click on the saved path in the Paths tab to bring the selection back.

1. Make your selection.
2. Save (and name) the selection while it is active. (Select > Save Selection)
3. With the selection active hold down the CTRL key and press the J key. (CTRL J = Copy and make a new layer)
4. Select the original layer.
5. Select the saved selection (Select > Load Selection) and check the Invert box.

If you want more immediate help, press the F1 key on your keyboard and use ACH (Adobe Community Help).

Another way to do it would be to create a layer mask from the selection. You could do that simply by clicking on the "create layer mask", at which point a mask will be created with your selected area masked. You can then just move the mask around by holding the ALT key as you move it to other layers. Or you could create a new layer then make a layer mask, this will again give you a mask based on your selection. You can invert them or adjust the feathering and opacity as you need to. If you need to get the selection back you just open the mask properties panel (double click on the mask) and click on the selection icon at the bottom (dotted circle), this will bring the selection back up.

After copying the selection to another layer (Ctrl J) place the cursor on top of the square on the new layer and click. This will select the new layer and you can go back to the original layer and inverse it.

This didn't work exactly, but if you CTRL-click the thumbnail on the new layer it makes the selection. I was then able to return to the original layer and inverse it. Exactly what I was looking for and nice and easy.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Yes. I forgot to say ctrl and click. :)

Yes. I forgot to say ctrl and click. :)

No worries. As soon as I read what you wrote it jogged my memory that CTRL-clicking the thumbnail would make the selection so it all worked out. :)

Most reactions

Back