Photoshop solution for reflection without clone tool

Onz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I've been watching photoshop tutorials and have become stuck at removing a reflection in a window of my photo. The problem is all of the tutorials I've found refer to using the clone tool to fix the reflection, but cloning will not fix this - and the correct image which sits behind the reflection is still visible, it's just obscured by the white reflection of a computer screen.

Is it possible to remove this white reflection and bring out the image behind it?

Any advice would be great :) thanks!

P.S. I attempted to fix this in lightroom by selecting the area toning down the whites, but it didn't work out well enough.

Oh! Here's the image I'm trying to fix

Attachments

• window reflection.jpg
    window reflection.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
You may want to provide the image for people to look at and play with as you can clearly see the scenario, but no one else can.
And also change your Photos "Photos NOT OK to edit" option so they don't break the rules.

Reactions: Onz
You may want to provide the image for people to look at and play with as you can clearly see the scenario, but no one else can.
And also change your Photos "Photos NOT OK to edit" option so they don't break the rules.
Yeah sorry I meant to but forgot, jumped onto it as soon as I posted :p

this is where PS skills come in handy.

Actually, a clone tool would be very important in "fixing" that. I would start by selecting the area and elevating to a new layer. Use exposure, colour balance and curves (among others) to reduce the intensity of the reflection, and then set about "building" the image using the clone stamp tool, brush tools, and copy & paste.

Of course the best solution would have been preventing the reflection before the photo was made.

Unlike what they do on TV in crime/cop shows there are photo editing limits to what can be done in real life.

In the case of the problem your photo has, and as tirediron alludes to, you will have to deal with the reflection with a rather long series of incremental edits.
It will be difficult to make do the edits so they are not apparent in the final image, but those editing artifacts could be less intrusive or noticeable than the reflection.

In addition to the reflection, there are white balance issues in the interior that also need to be addressed but that can't be 'fixed' completely.

I would probably start by masking the computer screen, then manipulating the exposure/colors/etc to match.

Most reactions

Back