Photoshop subscription

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I know this has come up in the past but I am just curious, has anybody here opted for the subscription to PS CS6 instead of buying it out right for $699.99 the Subscription is only $19.99 a month.. that's doable. any thoughts?

If you miss a payment, or stop making payments, you no longer have a valid use license/license key.
And at $20 a month you're signing up for a 1 year plan.
You are only paying for access, and will spend $240 a year.

Those that had/have Photoshop CS 5 only have to pay upgrade pricing to get CS 6 - $199 - and a valid use license/license key that has no expiration date.
If a new release comes out every 18 months, in 3 years those that upgrade will spend $398. Those that do the $20 a month cloud plan will spend $720. You can hear Adobe's cash register go - Cha-Ching! - every time you make a payment.
I still have CS 4 Extended, and fire it up when I have need to use some of CS 4's Extended features.

Several photographer associations have arranged a discount on Adobe pricing for their members.
Among many, many other hardware, software, general business, travel, car rental, discounts and other perks like NAPP's new online Photoshop/Lightroom training, NAPP members get 15% off Adobe's prices, including upgrade pricing. So we only pay $169.15 to upgrade from CS 5 to CS 6.
Photoshop User | Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP

Last edited:
Alright so, if I subscribe, I will just get CS6, the program right, installation and everything, except I pay monthly not $699.99 up front. I chatted in with support several times but I am not impressed with their support/information.

I don't do this, but if I understand KmH's post, the software is not actually installed on your computer, and you do your work in the cloud.

Yeah see, I understood from the chat rep that I would get the installation but, I just want to be able to click the icon and have bridge and CS6 open and at my fingertips when I need it. Or I could go for the cheaper option of LR4 for $149.99? Never used LR before though.

Last edited:
I don't do this, but if I understand KmH's post, the software is not actually installed on your computer, and you do your work in the cloud.

LOL no it is installed on your computer. The software just checks with the cloud server when you open it to make sure you have a valid subscription. Photoshop would be useless if it was not actually installed on your computer, just imagine how how painful it would be to edit a large image file from the "cloud"

Yeah see, I understood from the chat rep that I would get the installation but, I just want to be able to click the icon and have bridge and CS6 open and at my fingertips when I need it. Or I could go for the cheaper option of LR4 for $149.99? Never used LR before though.

With the subscription option you do click the icon and have photoshop and bridge open and at your fingertips.

Lightroom may do some photo editing but it is in no way a photoshop replacement.

What, if any penalties does Adobe assess if you miss a payment during the 1 year subscription?

Are you a student at an accredited school?

Just chatted with rep. You: what if I miss a payment.. do you automatically cancel my subscription?Norris: If you miss a payment for a month the subscription wont be canceled, it's just that you cannot use the software, you need to renew it and use the software. .... kind of vague but okay?

So no $$ penalty, just a lack of access to the software. And start a new 1 year plan?

They were never able to answer that for me Keith, quite disappointed with their "customer service" chat service. Will most likely go for it anyways I wont miss a payment if they automatically collect from the card.

LOL no it is installed on your computer. The software just checks with the cloud server when you open it to make sure you have a valid subscription. Photoshop would be useless if it was not actually installed on your computer, just imagine how how painful it would be to edit a large image file from the "cloud"

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, doing everything online would be quite cumbersome. I misunderstood Keith's post.

Most reactions

Back