Photoshop versions?

airgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am finally looking to get photoshop but I'm a little confused as to what the differences are.

From what I can tell there is Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS Premium.......

Can someone give me a simple explaination of the differences?

photoshop CS is the latest version of photoshop, photoshop elements is...i guess a good way to put it is a very simple program, you dont have that many options and tools and such...but i'm not sure what photoshop CS premium is....

Photoshop CS is basically Photoshop 8.0. CS, Cretive Suite, is Adobe's term for integrating several Adobe programs. You can buy and use Photoshop CS (about $700.) or you can get the CS package which runs about $1200. www.adobe.com

Elements runs about $99 and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the full blown Photoshop.

Premeium? Never heard of that. Possibly you're confusing it with Adobe Premiere which is a video editing software.

THanks for the replys. I just got Photoshop CS delivered yesterday. Installed it last night and when to bed doing the old RTM rule. (read the manual.....)

Kind of hard to wade through as it assumes you know all about: Layers, Masks, etc. All of this is greek to me.

Can anybody suggest a good book to explain those terms and what they can be used for? The manual tells you how to access them and configure them but not exactly what they are and what they are used for.

I got CS about 6 weeks ago, I was also REALLY GREEN to photoshop. There are a lot of tutorials on the web, and if you go thru the examples and how to's in this thread youll find them pretty helpful.

If that all fails, thats what the forums for :lol:

Thanks for the responses. I am sure I will be asking some questions here.

I am totally green to any photo editing software. The stuff that came with my old scanner let you crop and resize the pictures but not a whole lot else nor did I try to do much else either. I bought the scanner to copy documents and the occasional photo for work. I really have become interested in the creative aspects photography and the computer end of it in just the last 6 months or so.

I also found Adobe's help section to be very unhelpful until you know more about PS in general. They make too many assumptions about what you already know. I doubt that they deliberately try to support paid tutorials but they do anyway. There is some kind of "getting started" or "tips and tricks section" which is not as hard to understand.

What I found worked for me is to just work on one thing. Use Adobe's help section and other online tips until you have that one thing learned. Then try something else. As you get some understanding of how the basic processes work and more terminology, the future learning will go much faster.

when I started working in photoshop the only thing that really helped me was taking a class.
Also there may be someone that wants to earn a bit of money that will give you some basic lesson in photoshop.
Just a suggestion....not sure if it's useful.
I'm not real smart on this computer stuff and I dont' do instructions well
because they normally tend to think you have some idea of this stuff,
which I dont' ! :lol:
Have a great week.

I have found that after market tutorials help better than the packaged manual. Barnes & Noble has them.

I found that taking a class helped a lot to get started. After that it was experiment and play.

I was looking for a good book on photoshop, expecting to pay about $45 when I came across a book in Hasting for $15.

Photoshop CS Quick Steps. It's a reference book with lots of screen shots, color, white space. They try to keep every thing in a how-to style without a lot of verbage and keep each exercise to two pages. It's pretty good.

ISBN 0-07-223231-5

www.osborn.com

I also found that you need some other resouce to help w/ the software, and I saw it from a magazine recommanding How to Wow for Photographers. I think it is a liitle bit advance, but it does give you step by step to their examples.

cNet.com offers some on line FREE courses. I'm taking the Photoshop Basics now and it's a good refresher but it does start out assuming you're brand new. It's a pretty good way to start.

Most reactions

Back