Photoshop vs GIMP

namessuck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have Photoshop 7 somewhere around my house. I haven't actually used Photoshop in quite a while because I stopped doing signatures and stuff.

Is there any reason one would buy the newest Photoshop over Photoshop 7 or the free program GIMP? GIMP has many plugins and it's all free.

I have Photoshop 7 but I am not sure how much has changed since that version 10 years ago to the newest version.

The current release of Photoshop is Photoshop 13, more commonly known as Photoshop CS 6.

Photoshop has changed considerably since Ps 7.

Ferrari against a Camaro...yeah the Camaro is quick and will get you there and all but.....

Went from CS3 to CS6...wow what a learning curve. Big difference, and so much to learn. It is going to take me a while to learn it all. Don't know much about GIMP. My son uses it, and it works for the simple stuff he does.

GIMP only does 8 bit color, a deal killer for high end stuff. This is soon to change in the next major release. GIMP is free. Free is good.

Ferrari against a Camaro...yeah the Camaro is quick and will get you there and all but.....
I will take a '69 yenko over a Ferrari any day. :albino:

GIMP only does 8 bit color, a deal killer for high end stuff. This is soon to change in the next major release. GIMP is free. Free is good.
What do you mean by 8 bit color?

Photoshop 7 worked perfect for me when I was doing some graphic design and signature stuff. I haven't touched it since 2006.

I used GIMP on and off since then just for basic stuff.

Just wondering if Photoshop is still the king or is free GIMP can do pretty much everything.

I was looking at the Photoshop version history just now. There seems to be a lot of changes, but how many of those would affect people who are not serious photo editors?

Photoshop 7 vs Photoshop CS6... no comparison really.. 7 is worthless by modern standards IMO, and yes, photoshop is still king.. however, if you only require basic edits, Lightroom is a prince (and way cheaper).

GIMP is a nightmare. Stay away.

GIMP is a nightmare. Stay away.

Only for those who have been brainwashed from using other programs.

lol true, I've used Adobe work environments almost exclusively for 13 years, so that's a good point. But, I've used programs non-adobe as complex as Maya 3D, and I was able to deduct how to use the program. If GIMP frustrates me more than Maya 3D (with zero training) then there's a problem.

I've tried Gimp several times and to be honest, hated it it.
I recently got Lightroom 4.3, but to date I've been too lazy to learn it, so keep going back to my familar Paintshop 5.

gimp's a bit primitive, the interface looks like it was designed by software dudes (because it was) and the color depth is only 8 bits as noted. The layer model of photoshop is very powerful and emulating those capabilities in gimp is a real pain in the butt, although you can do it. I have trouble with gimp on very large images as well, in some cases, something photoshop is (as I understand it) built to handle very gracefully.

gimp is fine for casual work.

My personal take, for my personal work, is that if I can't do it in gimp I probably shouldn't be doing it anyways. gimp serves as a built-in brake on any tendency to overprocess things.

- If you like, or need to make, more heavily processed stuff, if you're doing graphic art, if you need lots of color depth because you're producing high end work, gimp isn't your friend.
- If you need to make pretty basic adjustments: color, curves, contrast, burning, dodging, some moderate editing (erasures, skin cleanup, etc), gimp will probably suit you fine.

I agree.

I used GIMP here at my office to fix an image email footer / signature. Took me 30 minutes.

30 minutes. To change a name in an image. It's worthless. I eventually used a web-based knock off of PS called Sumo Paint (which emulates PS to a T) and got it done in 5 minutes.

Sumo Paint FTW

Gimp is AWFUL at text. I don't even know why they have that little [A] tool. It is the tool of sorrow. It is the button that will make you weep tears of fury and despair.

Most reactions

Back