Photoshop Vs. PaintShop Pro: can I?

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's not a question of which is better, really: Photoshop always wins the discussion. However, I am out of luck working with RAW files. I have Photoshop 6.0. RAW is unsupported, it will not be supported, and just never mind.

I figure "hey, I'll just buy the Photoshop CS3 upgrade!" Nope. Can't upgrade from V6.0. Have to have V7.0. So I have to buy something.

- Photoshop CS3 costs $1,987,275,037.99 (actually it's $549, but it may as well be a zillion-willion dollars).
- PSP X2 is $99.

This alone tells me something, but I can't afford to be told much anyway.

SO: Can I run a small photo business using PSP? Do any of you? Portraits, weddings and a $99 shareware app that went viral?

Comment is invited.

why not just use a RAW converter, then just stick with PS6?

If you can still DL Rawshooter essentials its free and a decent programme or there are probably a few others out there for download. ;)

I use RAW Shooter Essentials...but I use an older cameras which are supported by RSE. It was bought out by Adobe, a while back so it doesn't support newer cameras, as far as I know. Great program though.

Your camera will have come with a program to open & adjust RAW files. Canon DSLR cameras do (or did) come with EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional (or something like that). You open the RAW files, tweak them, then save them as a regular image file TIFF or JPEG. Then you can open them in Photoshop and do what you want.

That is basically the same way that Photoshop does it, only it's RAW program (Adobe Camera RAW) opens right in Photoshop.

You might what to look into a program like Adobe Lightroom.

Well, heck. What was I thinking?

Is there even a scintilla of difference between RAW and TIFF? Sheesh. I'm thinking "gee, why convert to a JPG to work in photoshop...?"

Don't you guys love n00bs?

And yes, Mike: Canon shipped it's Eos Digital Solutions Disk with my 40D, so I should be good. I never install factory disk stuff 'cause it's usually junk, but that's what you get with point-and-shoot cameras - I'm thinking this should be different.

BTW - I am experimenting with the PaintShop Pro Photo X2 demo, and there are LOTS of cool things to play with. I may buy it anyway. I've tried to follow workflows from people who have CS2 or CS3, and I can't - features are a little scarce, as could be expected from a photo editor that's what, nine years old?

I'll see if there's additional value to getting PSP X2. It has HDR merge functions (not always my cuppa tea, but I want to play), RAW support out of the box, skin smoothing and lotsa other cleanup features, and it looks like fun. Hundred bucks. Hmm.

Anyway, thanks guys. That'll teach me to drink whiskey for breakfast...

Once you learn PSP X2, you'll find you can do very much the same things as PS. Each program has it pros and cons.

Use DPP to process your RAW. It retains in-camera settings and allows you to do all the basics (adjust, crop, resize, batch process). You'll find that if you get good shots out of the camera, you really don't need many features in photo editing software.

I could recommend a cheaper solution, but it might not go over well with the admins and Adobe.

HaHa... that's how I got ALL of my editing software... CS3, PSPX2, ACDSee Pro, Mystical Lighting... the list goes on.

Or check out eBay and buy an old version of ps7 and then upgrade. I actually bought a full unopened version of cs2 on ebay for $105.

I could recommend a cheaper solution, but it might not go over well with the admins and Adobe.

One that might be okay for your average Joe but not someone running a business.

Most reactions

Back