Photoshop vs Photoshop Elements 10

RNphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was wondering what everyones thoughts were on Photoshop c5 vs Elements 10. I have both and have been working with Elements 10 but was curious if I should just make the jump to Photoshop C5 which I already have but have not opened yet. I have the basics of Elements down but I know C5 can do so much more. Any input would be great. Thank you. Jennifer

Photohop CS and Photoshop Elements are quite similar. I like to call Elements "Photoshop Lite"...as it's sort of a stripped down version of CS. But it also has an easier/more basic interface, if I recall correctly.

Photoshop CS is a huge program that can do many, many things. It's not just for photographers, many other professionals/fields use it as well. From what I remember of Elements, it is more geared for the needs of just photographers.

The big difference, of course, is price. Elements is usually around $100, while CS is somewhere around $700.

Was wondering what everyones thoughts were on Photoshop c5 vs Elements 10. I have both and have been working with Elements 10 but was curious if I should just make the jump to Photoshop C5 which I already have but have not opened yet. I have the basics of Elements down but I know C5 can do so much more. Any input would be great. Thank you. Jennifer
You already have it. Why would you buy it, and not open it and use it?

You already have it. Why would you buy it, and not open it and use it?

^+1
Since you already have it--assuming you also have the spare space for it on your computer--there is absolutely no reason NOT to go ahead and install it and starting using it.
I used PS Elements for quite a few years--and I too, think of it as PS Lite--if you're pretty familiar with PS Elements, you shouldn't have much problem at all getting started using PS. I found the transition to be very easy.
The biggest difference isn't in HOW they do the stuff PS Elements does, it's all the things the full PS does that Elements doesn't include.

So, if you can already do it in Elements, you should be able to figure out how to do it in PS pretty easily.
And THEN, you can start learning the myriad of things the full PS does that Elements doesn't. :D

I know I know the thing is I bought Elements and just started to use it and learn it, then I got a great deal of $299 for Photoshop CS5 and couldnt pass it up thinking I would use it once I learned Elements more. Now here I am with 2 programs that do similar things and not sure if I should just make the leap to CS5 and upgrade it. Thank you for stating the obvious..lol

Last edited:
CS 5 has Bridge and the full version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR 6).

Elements 10 has an a very basic image organizer, and a de-featured version of ACR 6 (about 1/2 of what ACR 6 can do). ACR 6 is the same edit rendering engine used in the Develope module of Lightroom 3.

That is great infomation Keith. I am going to open it up and start using it. Thank you guys so much I just needed a little push to do it. Cant wait now.

I have never had Element
,but I love CS5. I can do so much with it! I learned the hard way...no book. Watched a lot of YouTube and Net. It was on my husband's computer who works for a printing company. He has to work from home on weekends. Has no patience to teach. I love the CS! Since you already know how to use it, why not advance. You got a good deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back