Photoshop wiping out EXIF data?

Laika

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any ideas why it is doing this - I am assuming it is not normal.

I have photoshop LE, and if I even open a picture, and save it through Photoshop (without doing any editing) it wipes out the EXIF data. It wouldn't matter quite as much, but I am taking a photography class, and I am supposed to adjust the levels on the picture, and if the data isn't there I can get points removed.

I was just hoping someone could tell me why it would be doing this, if it is a bug in the program or if I am saving it incorrectly or something.

Photoshop should not, atleast the ones I've used, unless you are saving under a format that does not support exif data like a GIF or PNG (I don't think they support it.)

There are some Photoshop knockoffs that however do wipe it out reguardless, MS Photodraw is one of them.

I am not familiar with Photoshop LE, but in my CS versions I have found that the exif data gets stripped out when using the "Save for Web and Devices" function. Saving files any other way leaves the data intact.

Not sure if this helps......

I am not familiar with Photoshop LE, but in my CS versions I have found that the exif data gets stripped out when using the "Save for Web and Devices" function. Saving files any other way leaves the data intact.

Not sure if this helps......

I never would have thought about the save for web function, I never use it. Had no idea there.

I was using "Save a copy" so I tried "Save As" still nothing.

I just find it so odd that I can open the picture, see all the information...then save in in Photoshop, and I get a message saying "no EXIF data". I will keep trying different things...

I never would have thought about the save for web function, I never use it. Had no idea there.

I read an article about quick ways to blow out the exif data - that's how I found about it :lol:

I am saving them as JPEG.

I just did quick Google using "exif and Photoshop LE" and came up with several references to the fact that LE doesn't save the exif data.

Again, I have never even heard of LE until now but it would appear that doesn't save the exif data. Check it out and see what you come with.

I apparently just didn't look through things well enough on Google. Thanks! Looks like I will just have to talk to my instructor and figure out what I am going to do then.

Well you could always upgrade to CS3,

or look at the exif and not save the image.

Photobuket has an exif reader, it's not the most detailed but that is what I use when I absolutely need to see exif information.

I have been using Opanda to read the EXIF data...I probably will just print out the EXIF data on the original picture, and then do what I need to in Photoshop (part of the assignment is to do level adjustment)

Cs3 is on the list, when it will actually happen I am not sure yet. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back