Photoshop

Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photoshop, Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw - Are these all parts of one large program or are they all seperate and if so does that mean to really process photos to a professional level you need to do some processing in each program.

Sorry if this is stupid question but have only just started using GIMP and am thinking i might buy a processing/editing program

What about photoshop elements? any thoughts on this...

Thanks
T

No, they're separate programs, however Adobe Camera Raw is normally a plug-in for Photoshop. Both Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Lightroom are RAW handlers; meant spefically to deal with the RAW files that your camera can produce. Lightroom is the heavy-duty version, giving you amazing control over your RAW images, Camera Raw allows you to do the basic corrections/adjustments.
Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard image-editing applicationm and will more than you're ever likely to need in your lifetime unless you're a hard-core pro. Unfortunatley, it'll chew at least $700 out of your wallet to buy. The GIMP is an excellent tool with much of the same functionality of Adobe Photoshop.
The two main commercial, consumer-grade applications are Photoshop Elements and PaintShopPro. Both of these are essentially 'light' versions of Adobe Photoshop and are priced more reasonably at between $80 - 120. Of the two, I belive that PaintShopPro has more verstaility and features for the money. Free trials of all (except I believe Adobe Photoshop itself) can be downloaded for trial purposes. Play with them, see which you like and go with it, IF you're not happy with the GIMP.

Most reactions

Back