Photoshop

To answer your question, I have respect for people who try to do as much "in-camera" as humanly possible. Exceptions, of course. Jerry Uelsmann, etc.

It wasn't a stupid question, just a general opinion question and wow, such anger. A simple yes or no would have been adequate.

Confused. Which is it? A general opinion question? Or a simple yes or no question?

I think Photoshop is another tool used by any photographer, does it make him/her better or worse?? Yes and no.

Clear?

p!nK

ILP = Ilovephotography.com

Maybe this debate was going on over there and OP wanted some other thoughts he could recylce in that forum...I dunno.

ILP = Ilovephotography.com

Maybe this debate was going on over there and OP wanted some other thoughts he could recylce in that forum...I dunno.

Yes, very much debate. I don't have any real thoughts either way considering I am not on the same level as much of you guys are (from either site), far from it. Wanted the opinions of more... say experienced photographers???

You asked for a general opinion. Opinions vary wildy. If you don't want opinionated answers, then say " I just want a yes or no ". I think everyone answered your question. Sure some people may have been a little smart-ass about it, but if you can't handle that, then stop whining about the forum and hit the road.

You asked for a general opinion. Opinions vary wildy. If you don't want opinionated answers, then say " I just want a yes or no ". I think everyone answered your question. Sure some people may have been a little smart-ass about it, but if you can't handle that, then stop whining about the forum and hit the road.

:lmao:

Jesus... how do I delete this question?! And you didn't even answer it! Thank you for your contribution of smart ass :thumbup:

You also don't understand Photoshop because it is mostly the computer version of darkroom techniques that have been used for over 100 years.

Disagree. I spend 1/3 of my time in the darkroom, 2/3rds PP digitally, often with the same negatives. Very different processes. What's difficult in one is often dreadfully simple in the other. I've often taken a negative, scanned it, and tried to reach the same aesthetic endpoint from two different directions (wet+digital). Try it sometime.

Film developing is exactly the same as post processing, just much more difficult, expensive, dangerous, and time consuming. Many of photoshop techniques are based on things photographers would do in a darkroom. To answer your question, no it doesn't make a bad photographer. If you have a really cool landmark you want to shoot but have tons of tourists around it, should you just never EVER shoot that landmark, shoot it with tons of people just to feel like a legit photographer, or do you do multiple exposures and stack them to remove the people?

I think you have a misconception of what post processing is and also what cameras are capable of.

Actually, I answered it on my previous post. Thanks for your contribution of stupidity.

Three,

I believe you may not know too much about photography. And that is why you ask that questions.

Do you consider a photog "good" when they use photoshop on nearly every photograph?

You may need to explain to us what you mean by "use photoshop". I believe what you think is different from what people think in this forum.

For me, if I going to hire a photographer and he/she just hand me the photos right off the camera, I will consider not acceptable. I will expect the photographer process each photos that he/she is going to deliver to his/her client. Even with film based images, I do not want the photographer just hand me the film. I can just go buy a film if I want a roll of film myself. I want the end result.

If you do not quite understand the term "Post Processing", you may want to read more about it first. Please also note that every JPEG images that come out from your digital camera are "pro-processed" by your camera. However, a lot of photographers do not like to have the camera take control of the processing, so they do it themselves with the help of a software such as Photoshop or something similar.

Hello :D Just wanting general opinion here. Do you consider a photog "good" when they use photoshop on nearly every photograph?

Depends what their using it for. If there using PS to enhance the photograph in ways a camera body can not. Lets say cropping, vignetting, sepia. Things of that nature well then they can still be considered "GOOD"

But if their using PS to repair nearly every photograph. Well then they are "NOT GOOD" How ever.

to answer your question:
if a photographer HAS TO use it evertime, then they are most likely not a good photographer. a good photographer should be able to take the pic he wanted to take with the camera.
so i do not consider myself a good photographer yet

to answer your question:
if a photographer HAS TO use it evertime, then they are most likely not a good photographer. a good photographer should be able to take the pic he wanted to take with the camera.

So any use of selective coloring, dodging and burning, HDR makes you a bad photographer? ( I mean if its done well :lol: )

I think the problem is there are two distinctions as someone else said on here. Those who use photoshop to "fix" poorly taken photos and those who enhance ( contrast, color correction, dodging and burning, HDR ) photos.

to answer your question:

So any use of selective coloring, dodging and burning, HDR makes you a bad photographer? ( I mean if its done well :lol: )

I think the problem is there are two distinctions as someone else said on here. Those who use photoshop to "fix" poorly taken photos and those who enhance ( contrast, color correction, dodging and burning, HDR ) photos.

well i meant people who use it to fix photos all the time and not do stuff like HDR and selective coloring =/

Most reactions

Back