Photoshop's 'Bicubic Sharper': good for you?

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been trained to use Bicubic Sharper when reducing an image in size. What I don't like is that is seems to over-sharpen my images, especially when I am going to a web resolution of around 500x333. I have been sticking with Bicubic (the default setting), and doing the standard, last step sharpening via a filter.

I do a lot of beauty and fashion retouching, and on those images, the last step sharpening that I do on the image is masked only into certain areas; I avoid sharpening skin textures that I worked hard on taming down, and it makes no sense to sharpen out of focus backgrounds. On those images, I would think if I reduced the image size at some point and used Bicubic Sharper, it would bring edge detail into the whole image and into unwanted areas.

Thoughts and experiences?

Absolutely right. Why sharpen something you don't want to.

I actually use bicubic sharper often when resizing because quite frankly the sharper look gets the girls for most images and I am often quite lazy.

But if you're sharpening for a specific medium, and intend to sharpen afterwards in a more controlled way anyway then there's no reason to pick a resampling algorithm with builtin sharpening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back