PHP website help

ryyback

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I am in need of learning PHP website making, got it in my head to learn this on my own and that isn't working for me this time, but anyways I would like to learn this way of doing up websites-I am not a pro at this, but I do know html.
I would like a site that would post pictures than you could comment, etc.
I am totally green to this PHP thing, and I have been reading off and on for around 30 hours and I still don't get it-sort of.
Anyone here have experience in php and can point me in the right direction? Or should I sign up at the local college?
I have Microsoft Frontpage and Dreamweaver (I have no idea to work this software-ugg)
Thanks in advance.
Rick

The site I work on is PHP, but sadly I am not one of the developers so I would be of little use, but I may be able to get some questions answered if no one else can help.

Thank you, that would be great.
I really just need a boot in the butt in the right direction, meaning getting a page up and running, etc. Once I get the basic's I should be able to go from there-it's just getting started and getting the pages up and running on the net that is making my head hurt--regular HTML was not this hard-:)

I think you should consider taking some classes if you are having trouble understanding it. Object Oriented Programming languages are all very similar in terms of "how" programs work, and they require a bit of "logic" to understand. Once you understand this, it's just a matter of learning the syntax.

Yes, I think you are right. Getting to know HTML is one thing, but this .asp, php, .net stuff is a completly different game I think-:)
I might just go with coppermine for the time being as well.
Thanks

Without a specific question to ask, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to save the money you would spend on taking a class, and go down to Barnes and Noble and just get you a good book on the subject.

I think that might be a good idea as well hawk-:)
Now if someone says you can use your current website and just "tweak" it, than I'm all ears-:)

Books and classes are a great idea. But also it might be helpful for you download some free scripts and analyse them (this helped me a lot while i was learning). Kind of reverse engineering i suppose.

Word of warning; if you're downloading scripts to look at, keep them simple things, rather than something like phpBB which will have you seeing stars :lol:

www.php.net is an amazing resource also.

If you have any specific questions though, i'm sure there are many people here who could help !

Books and classes are a great idea. But also it might be helpful for you download some free scripts and analyse them (this helped me a lot while i was learning). Kind of reverse engineering i suppose.

Word of warning; if you're downloading scripts to look at, keep them simple things, rather than something like phpBB which will have you seeing stars :lol:

I second that. Another great place for scripts is HERE.

www.php.net is an amazing resource also.

this is where i did learn it for my webpage.

i used the phase5 html-editor and hacked it all in by myself ;) no dreamweaver or anything similar used.

in order to test the php you write (best, while you write it), it is best to install a webserver locally on your computer (acessible through http://localhost/). I decided for XAMPP (apache) on windows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back