Picasa to Mac

canonbraden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so Im having problems. I use Picasa 3 to edit my pictures and when I export them to iPhoto, they turn out really blurry. Then from iPhoto I download the picture to my iPod. Has anyone had this problem? How can I get it so the image won't be blurry in iPhoto? Thanks.

Picasa is probably compressing them, and changing image size.. look at that....

Also... you would be better off not using Picasa.... lol!

cgipson1 said:

Haha. Alright, how come you say that?

I just like it cause its so simple. Any other free and easy programs that you would recommend?

cgipson1 said:

Haha. Alright, how come you say that?

I just like it cause its so simple. Any other free and easy programs that you would recommend?

The problems you are having, is the main reason I say that. I consider Picasa and other online editors to be aimed more at the Point'n'Shoot crowd than anyone really serious about learning...

GIMP is free, but not easy! FastStone is free, and pretty easy. Helicon Filter is Free and pretty easy, and does a nice job.

So what do you all recommend I should use? I've tried trials of photoshop and its really complicated for me. I'm just looking for something that's fairly easy and free.

I was not aware that there is a GIMP version for the Mac.

I went on ahead and purchased Aperture3.

FWIW: I quit using iPhoto.

Designer said:

How is Apertute3?

Why did you stop using iPhoto?

GIMP is free, but not easy! FastStone is free, and pretty easy. Helicon Filter is Free and pretty easy, and does a nice job.

The OP is using a Mac. There is a GIMP version for Mac, but the other two seem to be windows only. The OP would need to buy and install Windows on his computer.

Oopss.. pretty windows centric here... lol! I missed that... I know the Mac's have very limited software choices... unfortunately! So many mac users run windows anyway...

Designer said:

How is Apertute3?

Why did you stop using iPhoto?

Aperture3 does most of what I want to do, which is mostly adjustments. No layers, and it is NOT Photoshop.

I had loaded about 8,700 pictures into iPhoto, but found that it was impossible to sort and move the photos in there. I decided that it was too restricting in that regard.

The OP is using a Mac. There is a GIMP version for Mac, but the other two seem to be windows only. The OP would need to buy and install Windows on his computer.

Oopss.. pretty windows centric here... lol! I missed that... I know the Mac's have very limited software choices... unfortunately! So many mac users run windows anyway...

Yea, my experience with computers is rather limited. Years ago, we had Macintosh, back in the 80's, but then we had to learn Windows computers for work.

Then, when I was considering photo editing, I asked some guy at a big-box electronics store what I need, and he said "Apple". I like the large display on my iMac, but I am limited on software choices.

I bought a CADD software, and Aperture, and several cheap applications, and found a few free ones.

Okay so Im having problems. I use Picasa 3 to edit my pictures and when I export them to iPhoto, they turn out really blurry. Then from iPhoto I download the picture to my iPod. Has anyone had this problem? How can I get it so the image won't be blurry in iPhoto? Thanks.

Have you checked the export resolution? if you tick 'use original size' it'll...well...use the original size, You also have three choices for the level of compression. As others have said Picasa isn't very good as an editor, I find it is a handy browser though and some of the features are OK for tweaking JPG or editing for web use and so on, It's got it's uses. It's worth perservering with Gimp for more more meaty editing, it's difficult but one of the best freebies available.

Yea, my experience with computers is rather limited. Years ago, we had Macintosh, back in the 80's, but then we had to learn Windows computers for work.

Then, when I was considering photo editing, I asked some guy at a big-box electronics store what I need, and he said "Apple". I like the large display on my iMac, but I am limited on software choices.

I bought a CADD software, and Aperture, and several cheap applications, and found a few free ones.

Once upon a time, Apple had a big advantage over PC's in the CAD / Editing department... but not so much anymore. You can build a PC that is more powerful, and put video cards in that have rendering capability that far exceed what the Mac's are capable of. But the reputation (2D graphics performance) that Apple built back when still seems to be a popular opinion, especially among the minimum wage sales people at electronics stores, lol!. Mac's do a good job, I am not knocking them. But the limited software availability severely limits them in some ways. The way that Apple limits hardware upgrades also makes it difficult to upgrade should you want to.

Hardware and software is all vetted and approved by Apple before being released to ensure maximum reliability and compatibility. Windows is wide open.. anybody can build hardware, or write software.. no approvals needed (and yes.. this can cause problems... especially much of the FREE software... some is very poorly written). Macs are also much more locked down then PC's OS wise.. which makes it harder for people to break it, by messing with it. Windows is not locked down that way... and most problems are user induced.

Either will work fine for editing... (and no, not trying to start arguments on this... just sharing some info)!

Either will work fine for editing... (and no, not trying to start arguments on this... just sharing some info)!

I'm not sure, but maybe if I were going to do it over, I might build a windows computer.

Windows software is usually cheaper as well.

Most reactions

Back