Picking up a film nikon today $100 budget

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am stopping by National Camera Exchange today to grab an older film body.

My current lens lineup is:
35mm f1.8G
50mm f1.8D
85mm f1.4D
100mm f2.8 macro
180mm f2.8 ais

I can spend up to 100 bucks but would like to save a few bucks for some rolls of film.

I really want to have some with a good shutterspeed range(1/4000+).

I do not care if it has any auto capabilities.

I'm thinking about a couple of these:

Nikon FG
National Camera Exchange: NIKON FG

Nikon FE
National Camera Exchange: NIKON FE

Nikon N80
National Camera Exchange: NIKON N80

There is also an F3HP with a missing motor drive cover for $119 and I may try to squeeze another $50 into the budget if I can then I'd be looking at:

Nikon FA
http://used.natcam.com/newused/details/800056550

Nikon F2
National Camera Exchange: NIKON F2

Nikon F3
National Camera Exchange: NIKON F3

Nikon FE2
National Camera Exchange: NIKON FE2

Nikon F4 W/mb21
National Camera Exchange: NIKON F4

Any recommendations? I do not need high FPS just something with fast shutterspeeds. On a side note, would any of these work with sb600's??

Sorry for the bump. going to the store in about two hours!

F4 is badass... I'd get that one. Thing is a tank.

Nikon lived and thrived on the F2's. That would be my first choice. Oh wait, I have three of them still so I guess it is my choice. Skip the F3 as it has an inherent design flaw. If you don't have AF lenses then I would choose the F2 over the F4.

What are your thoughts on the FG and FE?

The FE2 has 1/4000th second, the FE and FG have 1/1000th as highest speed.

Also consider the N8008s for an now inexpensive choice- 1/8000th and the High-Point finder used in the F3HP.

I prefer the F2 over F3, but my 1983 F3 works perfectly. It does require batteries for operation, so does the FE2.

Thanks for the help guys. My choices are down to an F2 or FE2. Both will do 1/4000. Any reasons to choose one over the other. I'm leaning towards the F2.

Post pictures of what you decide. :D

Thanks for the help guys. My choices are down to an F2 or FE2. Both will do 1/4000. Any reasons to choose one over the other. I'm leaning towards the F2.

The F2 was the original "Tank" of the Nikon F line. Make sure of two things before you buy one. First that the meter works and the battery compartment is not corroded. Second, that the shutter functions smoothly and properly. F2 shutter issues can be fixed if one develops later on. There are still folks out there that specialize in the F2 repair. No reason to buy one however that has an issue now.

The F2 has a top shutter speed of 1/2000th, sync speed of 1/80th. the Fe2 is 1/4000th and 1/250th. I still grab the F2 alost everytime. The FE2- one day my daughter will want a good film camera, and it will be perfect for smaller hands.

F2. The classic of all times

^^^
Yep, 1/2000 is the top shutter speed with a 1/80th sync. The nice thing about the F2 is that there are sill lots of winders, motor drives, backs and Photomic finders available that work with any F2 body. I have an F2, an F2SB and an F2AS in my collection, along with a winder, an MD2 and a bulk back. DS-1 and DS-2 aperture control units are getting hard to find, at least in my area.

Fe or Fe2 would my recommendation. The sb600 will work in manual mode only. I own all the Nikon fs (f, f2as,f3,f4,f5,f6) and I shoot my fe more than the rest combined.

That said I'd highly recommend u stretch your camera budget to around $150 and buy a f100.

I ended up with an F2, which I brought back the next day. It was having winding issues. It was tearing up the film advance holes in the film? Kept getting stuck in between exposures 24-25 and was getting stuck when winding the film back when the roll was finished. I ended up with a mint FM2 for the same price. It looks like it is new or completely refurbished. I still want the F2 but to get one in the condition of this FM2 I would have spent a bit more. So far I like it. Works great with the sb600, does 1/4000 which is great having a lot of fast glass. Maybe next year if the itch is still growing I'll look for that mint F2! This will work for now.

8305448460_3a1fd7430f.jpg

I ended up with an F2, which I brought back the next day. It was having winding issues. It was tearing up the film advance holes in the film? Kept getting stuck in between exposures 24-25 and was getting stuck when winding the film back when the roll was finished. I ended up with a mint FM2 for the same price. It looks like it is new or completely refurbished. I still want the F2 but to get one in the condition of this FM2 I would have spent a bit more. So far I like it. Works great with the sb600, does 1/4000 which is great having a lot of fast glass. Maybe next year if the itch is still growing I'll look for that mint F2! This will work for now.

8305448460_3a1fd7430f.jpg
Very good choice, can't wrong with that one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back