Pics from Hawaii (NOT WORK SAFE AT ALL) **Part 1**

Moscovite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I like them but two has the horizon cutting her head in half a little distacting and I find three a bit dark for my taste. It is also hard for me to relate to a single verticle object in a horizontal crop.

Buy I do like them for what they are.

You are lucky to have such a beautiful and willing model and a nice location as well.

First thing, the horizon is crooked. When there is water on the horizon...it had better be straight. That is easily fixed in photoshop.

Next, the subject is right in the middle of the images. Try cropping them so that she is not in the middle (see 'rule of thirds'). It's not a hard 'do this' type of rule...but I think it will help your images.

Finally, the third one could use more light on the model (and first one, on her face.) Using flash or even a reflector would have helped.

In my opinion (such as it is) the problem will only be made worse by having her off center in a horizontal crop. she needs to be in a verticle image. There is nothing esle in the image but her except in number three which might well be a horizonal to show other features.

Yes, this type of shot is OK as you have given a warning and posted links.

Big Mike said:
You are lucky to have such a beautiful and willing model and a nice location as well.

Thanks a bunch, Mike! Erin is sitting next to me (the girl in the pictures), and is chiming in: "Yeah, Thanks Mike!!"

I call them as I see them. :D

What really adds to the photos is that she looks like she is very comfortable and is having fun. Too often, with these types of shots, the model looks uncomfortable or self conscious...and that can really ruin an otherwise great shot.

It reminds me of the photographs on www.domai.com
You and your lovely fiance should check out that site. I really enjoy the natural beauty of the images found there. I could talk for an hour about the Domai philosophy but this isn't the time for that.

Basically what others have said.. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was the lighting and shadows. The first two could have used either a very very light fill flash or a reflector to lighten up the shadows on her. Their third one needed a lot of fill flash or additional lighting from somewhere to lighten up that shade. What lens where you shooting with? Like others have said the horizion is not level but I also noticed it looks a bit curved (aka wide lens). If possible you might try shooting at 50mm (or equivalent for your digital) to make the horizon more of a straight line.

my wife noticed that part of the rock in the third picture shows between her legs and is distracting. The other critiques are good ones, but I think you're off to a good start.

morydd said:
my wife noticed that part of the rock in the third picture shows between her legs and is distracting. The other critiques are good ones, but I think you're off to a good start.
I was just going to say that! I would deff. consider photoshopping that out! :lol:

Most reactions

Back