Picture borders

ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there some photoshop plugin or easy way to create borders around your pictures? So far I'm using the stroke option in photoshop but that's only good for one solid border in one color. Been meaning to experiment with borders so I'm wondering how you guys do yours...

Thanks

Well, I have never so far used any plug-ins. I create my borders in selecting my entire image (re-sized to 800x533 already), copying it, going to "New File", background colour black, and making the first "New File" 5 pixels larger than the pic (i.e. 805x538), and I paste my image in there.
Now I have a thin black border. Then I select all that, go to Copy Merged, create a new file, background WHITE now, and make that one 10 px larger than the merged one (i.e. 815x548) and paste the merged file in there.
Select all, copy merged, new file, background black again, and then 50 px larger than the merged second file (865x598) - paste merged file in there. Now I have a black(thin)white(more)black(most) frame around it.

Merge the layers. Done. I have meanwhile done it sooo often, it goes very very fast.

This is probably the type of question that you could ask 50 people and get 50 responses.

For me... I control-click the background layer and then make a new layer on top. With that selection I go to the new layer and hit Select, Transform (I think it's Transform... not in front of the home PC at the moment), Contract and just try various numbers depending on the resolution. At that point you can either fill that selection or just select a big paint brush and color it in yourself.

You can go to the link below and download actions for PS. You just have to look for the action that will give you the borders. I think the biggest down fall for doing it this way is you never really learn how to do it yourself.

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

I use The Gimp and it has about 6 automated borders that are basically one click, then select the width and hit okay. The best options off the top of my head are, fuzzy, rounded edges, beveled. Anyway, I suggest you check it out and the latest gimp (version 2.4) is tons better than previous versions.

I make my borders in photoshop then save it as a psd template and plug the photo into it later and save them as a jpeg.

You can also just set you background color on the side toolbar to black, the increase the canvas size on an open photo. Select "image" on the top menu bar, than "Canvas Size" increase the "New size" to get a border.

PS.jpg

you can download PS brushes of borders, and paint them around the picture on a different layers, the possibilities are endless. Just try it, google it, I am sure you will find out lots of tutorials for this topic. good luck!

The stroke option works very well, but if you want a semi transparent border, simply duplicate your layer and put the stroke on the topmost layer, then lower opacity. You can also put an inner glow as a "second" stroke, just make sure you set the choke to 100% and technique to precise.

Another interesting tip, select the edges (underneath your semi transparent border) on the bottom layer and add a gaussian blur for a glass effect.

i made an action in photoshop to make a plain white border.

sized the canvas like 105% ( however big you want the frame to be)

then made a new layer, moved it under it and filled with white.

so when i want a frame now i just click the one action and it does that.

Most reactions

Back