Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you edit your photos?

*** DOESN'T COUNT LIST.. ***

- Cropping
- Converting into B&W
- Resizing (of course)

well, does developing (darkroom or digital) count?

What do you mean by 'edit'? I process all of my photos.

Really, but you dont think its somewhat "fake" picture?

Really, but you dont think its somewhat "fake" picture?

You cannot display the raw data created by the sensor on a screen and you cannot print it. It needs to be processed into a TIFF, JPEG or anything else which is displayable. Either you do that manually, or you let the camera do the processing according to the parameters the manufacturer thought right.

I guess you either refer to what I would call postprocessing, after that conversion (e.g. like HDR-play) ... or you refer to "editing" (such as cloning out things you do not like)

Think about it this way...

Someone shoots photos on B&W film. Obviously, the film needs to be developed...so that's what the photographer does. Maybe he uses certain chemicals to get the look he wants. Maybe he leaves it in the solution for a little longer. Maybe he uses a certain paper to make the prints look how he wants. Would that be considered editing the photos?

Now if you did something similar in the 'digital darkroom', is that any different? I adjust my shots, first in a RAW converter, then in photoshop. Often, it's not drastic changes...just adjustments to make it look how I want. Layers, Curves, Hue/Sat, sharpening etc.

I shoot and process in raw 100% of the time and on odd occasion grab an image that has some issues and edit it just to keep up on photoshop.

If I could vote, mine would be on 10-0%..

I never edit mine.. but I really dont have the attention span to learn how to lol

I edit 95% of the time and almost love playing with the editing more than actually taking the picture. it's fun :)

Since cropping doesn't count, I fall in the 10-0 percent category. Generally, unless it's a good shot it hits the trash can anyway. Instead of editing I shoot a LOT of pictures and simply choose the best ones.

All that masking and curves and stuff makes my head hurt.

I find that if I try to rely on the "darkroom" to fix my defects as a photographer, I don't progress quickly in developing new skills and better accuracy.

But that's me.

I 100% edit my photos (they are not pictures). The ones I deem worthy at least get curves, color balance and sharpening. Some go a lot farther then that. Your original post is very vague. Post processing has and always will be a vital part of the process.

I shoot to capture as much info as possible and then post process. That means they will be slightly flat and soft out of the camera. The colour is usually close. I rarely shoot RAW because I find that process unnecessary. I mean I bought the camera to rely on it's functions as opposed to override them. The only thing I strive for in post processing is to never crop my photos.

Love & Bass

If I could vote, mine would be on 10-0%..

I never edit mine.. but I really dont have the attention span to learn how to lol

Im guessing you're new to digital photography? Up until recently (just a few months) I was in your position, no editing what so ever. I figured if you want it to look a certain way, do it in camera. Then as I started to play with GIMP (free photoshop basically) I learned the value of cloning to remove dust (a problem film doesn't have) and levels adjustments to correct slight over/under exposure much in the way a photolab would process the pictures. Then I started to playing with saturation and other things, and now I can pretty consistently make the minor tweaks to "top off" an image.

and I dont think its any more editing than a lab does for you without your knowledge, it's just that here, YOU are in control.

Sabbath, I have been shooting with your style up until the last few weeks, the spray and pray so to speak where you just take as many as possible and hope one comes out right. Now I am starting to shoot in RAW, and since RAW sucks to process I have been taking a lot more time to set up my shots, making sure I get things as good as I can in camera. I consider it a quality instead of quantity approach. It's hard to get used to.

Most reactions

Back