Picture-specific model release

marius_s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there

I have an interesting question that google couldn't help me with. Is there any way to have a model release form for only specific pictures and how would one specify those pictures in the agreement?

I would do the following, but i can't be sure if it would have any legal significance whatsoever:

* find the pictures you need the model to sign for
* calculate their RAW file's (or a high res original JPEG's) hash (a unique number, generated by a special math algorithm that will uniquely identify a digital file)
* specify in the release form something like this: the photographer is allowed to use the pictures if he can provide a high resolution RAW or JPEG file, which has an SHA1 hash sum, matching one of the sums, listed in ... some other point below.

I think one could also simply print thumbnails of the pictures, but if there's quite a few of them, hash sums would be a great way to specify pictures.

Maybe i'm overcomplicating things here ... So what is your oppinion about this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I suppose that would work, IF the RAW file was not altered. If any editing at all was done to it, even accidentally, it would alter the hash-sum. What I would do is use a standard model release form and include a description of the image, "Showing Susan Smith leaning on a bench, wearing..." with date, time, location and file name in the release and attach a copy of the print to the release, and have both people sign the release an the print. As always however, rules vary by region, country, etc. Consult a practising IP lawyer for the real answer.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank You both for Your answers! Good thing i decided to ask, as standard model releases only describe the photoshoot generally so i don't think they would fit in this situation at all. KmH, i will definately have a look at the book You've provided - thanks!

You don't show a location in your profile. Here in the USA, model release law varies by state.

Ah, sorry. I live in Lithuania, Europe. The thing i forgot to mention is that i'm not a photographer. That is - i don't do any commercial stuff with my photos and i don't plan to. I only need the model release for my online portfolios. Does that make the process easier or is it absolutely the same when shooting specific people in private photoshoots?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back