"Picture Style" User Prefrences

MostlyDigital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What are your user prefrences set to under the "Picture Style" in the Menu? Do you use a comstom setting? If I was to take a Portrait, Landscape, etc should I set it to those functions in the menu? There is also Faithful, Neutral, and Standard. I have read my manual, I am just looking for a better explination and experience from you guys, thank you for you help.

I have a 30D and I shoot RAW. My photos are blue when I open them up in Digital Photo Pro to edit the raw picture and then trnsfer them to photoshop. I understand that you must saturate, sharpen, etc for pictures but does everyone else's RAW pictures initially look blue?

you can alter the White balance in camera, you can use the normal (AWB, cloudy, flash, etc.) or you can go custom white balance. I have a rebel xt, so I don't know what added features the 30d has.
Normaly I leave it at AWB, but if you're taking allot of photos for a session sometimes its time saving to do most of the stuff in camera to lower your post process time.

Yeh its not the white balance that it adjusts. It adjusts sharpness, contrast, saturation, and color tone.

i may be wrong but if you shoot digital then no processing is applied in camera and that's why they have to be processed after shooting. jpegs are processed in camera and unnecessary info dumped and that's why jpegs are smaller.

If you're shooting raw then the camera records what it sees without processing.

If you're images come out blue then it may be either your white balance or your monitor (unless you've printed a "blue" image of course)

I have a 30D and I shoot RAW. My photos are blue when I open them up in Digital Photo Pro to edit the raw picture and then trnsfer them to photoshop. I understand that you must saturate, sharpen, etc for pictures but does everyone else's RAW pictures initially look blue?

I don't know about the blue thing, sounds like a WB issue, unless it's only in DPP that you see them that way. Some of my pictures, after editing them (it's usually ones I have to lighten quite a bit) take on a green cast in the preview in DPP. When I open them up, even in DPP, they're no longer green so I think it has something to do with the thumbnails. I almost freaked out the first time I saw it! :blushing:

on my 400D I use two options:

1.- When shooting in color: User Defined (or whatever it says) 1
Which is more less standard with a bit of more sharpness & contrast. I normally combine this putting it on Landscape when converting from RAW.

2.- Something I started doing recently when shooting in black & white:
User Defined 2 -> Monochrome. In camera "Red Filter", with a bit of more contrast & sharpness than the default settings.

I nearly always end up doing some post processing in the RAW converter, I try to use Photoshop as less as possible, although I prefer Photoshop to the RAW converter when it comes to adding Sharpness in post-process ;)

Most reactions

Back