pictures are to dark

lightning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everybody heres my first post
i own and run a clothing online store but the big problem is that all my pictures are to dark
my camera is a sony cybershot dsc-p100
i am using a white muslin back ground
all this is being shot at home in daylight
i have read a bit on lighting but dont really understand it all,i have a small budget to get me started.any help would be great or equipment that is needed many thanks paul

Can you post some examples along with the settings you're using? That will help us determine the best course of action.

how do i post samples as my attachment is show not aloud to post
as for setting i just use 5million pix fine and the flash hope this helps thanks paul

000000000000000000qt8.gif
hope this is right here go's

thank you

Heya lightning and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
I edited your post so that the photo shows right away (made use of the little "insert image"-icon above the communication box which opens when you post or reply, it is the yellow square with grey mountains and a grey sun), makes viewing much easier for most members.

Now my question to you is: what do you want to achieve with oyur photos, what to you take them for? Are they supposed to go into a catalogue on products that you sell in your shop?

hello LaFoto
thanks for the help there
trying to get good photos to put on website as i have got into online trading ,most of the photos i up load are way to dark.

Do you use any post processing software after you have taken your photos? For your example photo here looks like you could still brighten it by working on the "levels" (as it is called in Photoshop), adjusting the highlights. So you could get well-exposed photos even AFTER you have taken it -- for you need not take at face value what your camera gives you. There are means to still change it.

I only have the old 6.0 version, but I think yours still has the level-adjustment under "Image" -> "Adjust" . When you then look at the histogramme of your photos (a kind of "mountain" if all goes well) you can see if your pics lack in highlights ("flat lands" on the right) and you could pull the lever towards the beginning of the "mountain" and see if that helps.

use the help fuction of PS and type in "Levels" or "Levels adjustment". Then once you learn where it is located use levels to bring up the mids (just drag and slide the triangle) to brighten the picture. It does a very natural looking job, unlike simply brightening the picture, which usually makes things white looking and poor quality.

thank you that does help alot,but do i need to get some proper lighting to help with photos in first place if so what lights would anyone reccommend,as i am only using a sony cybershot dsc-p100 .thanks for all your help.

I could be wrong, bu I think with that sort of camera, some sort of permenant lighting (not flash) is probably going to be your only realistic option. First thing I'd try is buy a decent sized reflector, or a sheet of white styrofoam in a pinch. Position your subject by a large window, put the reflector on the the opposite side and shoot.

Failing that, I'm sure a few people on here can suggest simple lighting setups they've used, where to buy stuff, how much etc.

Before you go and spend lots of money on lighting, there is a reason why your shots are dark... Your camera doesn't know what you are taking a picture of and thinks that generally every shot should look not too bright or not too dark. 90% of the time, this is fine but there is a problem when we take photos of a predominantly white scene (or a black scene) as the camera doesn't know that it is meant to be white and exposes to achieve a midtone (also known as 18% grey). This is why your photo looks grey! To combat this on your camera there should be an exposure compensation function or EV+/- , so when taking the same shot apply a plus or two and see the result. LaFoto is quite right that your shots can be saved and it is good advice but always always better to get it right in camera. Hope this helps and let me know how you get on, cheers Chris.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back