Pictures at road bike races

DanV1317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to be going to a velodrome to take some pictures of bike races. The racers go around the track and alot of my shots will be with me standing along the outside of the track with the riders coming towards me. i was wondering what you guys think is the best bet to try to get these riders in focus if they are coming towards me or right in front of me pretty fast. I would assume just use a high aperature and as high of a shutter speed as i can get to stop the action? Probably an ISO 400? Any suggestions would be great. here are some examples of type of racing/pictures that i'd be trying to get. The velodrome i'm going to is going to be outdoors though.
Velodrome_1.jpg

national-velodrome-cycling-complex.jpg

Yes, that sounds like your best bet. Since you're indoors, you might need to go with an even higher ISO, but regardless you'll definitely have to use a small aperture for decent focus, especially if you're trying to get the whole pack. I'd get there early and take some test shots.

Not that it matters, but since it's the same subject...I'm photographing the new Tour of Pennsylvania next week when it rolls through my area. I'm so excited!

Since you're indoors,

The velodrome i'm going to is going to be outdoors though.

It depends on the shots. If you want one rider in focus, use a wider aperture, if you want to whole group, use a smaller one. You'll want to adjust your ISO based on your shutter speed IMO. If you're shooting outside, you may want to try an ISO of 100.

You don't want to completely stop the action. You can get a sense of speed and motion with a shutter speed that's slow enough that the wheels are a bit blurred, but fast enough to stop most of the cyclist.

I was shooting sport bikes moving through a very fast corner (70-90) with shutter speed of about 1/160-1/250 while panning and was getting some good shots with the riders in focus while the wheels were still moving.

Exif:
Camera:Canon EOS 30D
Exposure:0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture:f/13
Focal Length:153 mm
ISO Speed:250

Click for the flickr page:

High Rouleur, send me a PM if you would. Thanks

Sometimes it gets annoying having such a small screen on your camera to check the details of the photos. You dont know if you're pictures are coming out well or not until you get home and upload them.

Are these your pix?

no these were just samples of the type of sport i was photographing. I stated in my original post they were just an example of what i was trying to do, but the images were taken from google images.

no these were just samples of the type of sport i was photographing. I stated in my original post they were just an example of what i was trying to do, but the images were taken from google images.

should just link to them then.

Most reactions

Back