Pictures not coming out as crisp as others

I couldn't view the Exif data, but i would throw money down that its a higher end camera vs what you have. Plus the post processing work.

Ugg, i wish i could view the Exif on it to be able to tell you some more things about it. Maybe someone else can figure that out.

Hi OP - you mentioned that you believed there was post-processing done in the background...I don't think that is the case (other than the contrast/saturation). The photog used a wide aperture (not too wide though as wall is fairly well behind) and like another poster said he bumped the contrast and saturation (saturation quite a bit, I think).

More importantly, though...he used a matte, textured background that is out of focus to set off a shiny smooth object which is what catches your eye. I know you are trying to get some "wow" out of your cam, and I am sure you can...but your pic tries to show off a white car that uses a small part of the frame while about 2/3's of the frame being is taken up with other colours and objects, all equally in focus(parking blocks, signs, etc.).

All these concepts are good things to think of when setting up - f-stop is madly handy when trying to contrast/set-off items. And of course lighting is key.

I loved your photo, not putting it down at all (I personally liked the line of parking blocks and the sensation of a lonely all night convenience store I got from it...). Keep shooting!

i think that first shot is done with an HDR technique.

Not even close.

what are you shooting with?

Does it matter?

The fact is it is simply a case of careful planning. The car is parked in the shade. It has a fresh coat of wax. You can bet your pretty penny that the sky is many stops brighter than the light it is putting on the subject and the wall. The reflections come out because the sky is bloody bright and if there was a sky in the background instead of a building you could probably bet your pennies that it would blow out bright white. There's also been a bump in contrast, saturation, there's an interesting background, and a nice looking angle. That photo linked could have been done with a point and shoot camera and 10 min in photoshop. There's nothing special about it at all.

Garbz is right, its all about planning, but one step before that, knowing how and what to plan for. You want an interesting angle, you want something more than the car filling the frame, but there are times you want to break the rules. This comes with a little practice and playing with PP to get the best out of the pic.

2219047097_2464a1a3f8.jpg

2219046921_12020217f7.jpg

I usually take my pictures on a tripod with an shutter remote that the camera brings.Camera In use is a Sony DSC-H9 with a sony .75 wide angle lense. said:
Is that .75 wide angle lens an add-on? Like screwed into the front of the regular lens. If so, that's a lot of the problem.

But, as has already been mentioned, there was a lot of PP (including over saturating and sharpening) on the sample you showed. And it also helped that the car was a deep, rich color, against a dark textured background.

Your second image is much improved. Good work!

That's a lovely shot, great framing, and your PS work was spot-on.

I'm looking at the example you sent - I wonder if tehre was off-camera lighting or just reflectors? Hmm. Warm light on the wheel surrounds.

And: how did you de-green the fluorescents in front of the store and keep the turn indicator such a vivid orange? Did the camera sort out the lighting, or did you have to mess with it? I can't see magenta splash anywhere...

Anyway, you have a great eye - nice work!

Would there have been any HDR used in the one of the blue car? Everything seems to be properly exposed including that reflective sign on the right

Thanks for the compliments it means a lot. There wasn't much PP done.As much as I like the praises I was recieving I just used a filter in photoshop and set it to where I thought it looked right.I guess I was just lucky with the picture.

also, look at your lighting... natural lighting is best.. where's the sunlight? Storefront store lighting isn't working... other than that, adjust brightness/contrast and your results... next time, polish your car. You will see an incredible difference...

integracontrastbrightness.jpg

your pic after contract/brightness is adjusted

leila, I do not like your edit at all, sorry. Also, your advice is wrong too, since when is natural lighting just plain better? The storefront/ industrials settings are where automotive photography thrive. There is no "end all technique" to photography, some shots work better with sunlight, some with moon light, some with canlde light, some in portait oreientation, some in landscape, some cropped real tight, some showing background.

to the OP, I think your photography is great, and that subtle edit you made was all it needed.

leila, I do not like your edit at all, sorry. Also, your advice is wrong too, since when is natural lighting just plain better? The storefront/ industrials settings are where automotive photography thrive. There is no "end all technique" to photography, some shots work better with sunlight, some with moon light, some with canlde light, some in portait oreientation, some in landscape, some cropped real tight, some showing background.

to the OP, I think your photography is great, and that subtle edit you made was all it needed.

sorry. obviously i'm not an automotive photographer. foot is inserted into mouth.

Would there have been any HDR used in the one of the blue car? Everything seems to be properly exposed including that reflective sign on the right
i think that first shot is done with an HDR technique.
Not everything is HDR people. Ever heard of Curves? :banghead:

BTW, the white on the sign is blown out.

Most reactions

Back