pictures sharpness 2

ericv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

Thanks you all for your responses to my previous post. After adjusting the "should be corrected exposure", I'm still not getting the desired sharpness level, is it because I have reached the maximum from the lens that I have or is it because of me? I'm posting several images here for your judgement. These pictures were made by a nikon D300 on a prime 50mm lens. I really appreciate your advises on lightning, sharpness, white balance...etc...as well. Another concern is a type of tripod that I should buy. I saw tripod ranging from 20$ to a couple thousands...so I'm confused about which one to buy. I really do appreciate your guide for a good one just for what I'm doing right now (shooting product images).

Again, thank you so much.

Great weekend.

EV

zf5.6-250-iso200.jpg

#1: F5.6-1/250s.

zf6.3-160-200.jpg

#2: F6.3, 1/160s

zf6.3-200-iso200.jpg

#3 F6.3, 1/200s

f6.3-200-iso200.jpg

#4- F6.3-200-iso200

In my opinion you're pretty much at as sharp as you're going to get out of the camera. At this point if you want it to be sharper you should run some kind of smart sharpen or unsharp mask.

I'm still not getting the desired sharpness level, is it because I have reached the maximum from the lens that I have or is it because of me?
When post processing these images, how much sharpening are you applying? You should apply some sharpening when you edit the photos.

And you really shouldn't post full sized images, try reducing the size before you post. Slow loading when you have full sized files.

I haven't edited with PS yet. Any comment on the lighting? Should I expect an increase in sharpness from the expensive 17-55mm lens? If so, what zoom and aperture is best on this lens?

Thanks as always.

Lighting looks okay. You have some white balance issues. Sharpness really doesn't look like an issue here...unless you're pixel peeping.

With the more expensive lenses you may see an increase in sharpness as well as better contrast and color saturation. Most lenses are usually pretty sharp at f/8.0. I'm not familiar with that specific lens but most zoom lenses aren't their sharpest when zoomed all the way out. They tend to be better in the middle of the zoom.

I gave up waiting for your huge images to load. If you read the ToS they request images be no more than 800 pixels on the long side for that reason.

Does it say 800? Bah, I've always been doing 1,000...oh well.

Which lens are you using, exactly?

As for tripods, if you spend anything less than $100 on one, it's almost guaranteed to fall apart in a few days.

HI,

sorry about the image sizes. will change that the next time. The lens for these photos as I mentioned is 50mm f1.8. I was saving for the 17-55mm f2.8 but I wonder how much more sharpness I could get on this expensive lens. As your advises, I tried photoshop unsharp mask and the result was amazing. I now don't know if I should waste money on that new expensive lens (1300$). Please give me your advises. thanks as always.

Eric V.

HI,

sorry about the image sizes. will change that the next time. The lens for these photos as I mentioned is 50mm f1.8. I was saving for the 17-55mm f2.8 but I wonder how much more sharpness I could get on this expensive lens. As your advises, I tried photoshop unsharp mask and the result was amazing. I now don't know if I should waste money on that new expensive lens (1300$). Please give me your advises. thanks as always.

Eric V.
How to post images here at TPF is on a sticky right there at the top of the Beginners Forum. Here's a link for you. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back