Pied-Billed Grebe

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a Pied-Billed Grebe. Grebes aren't ducks and are classified as "Diving Birds". They are tiny little birds compared to any of the ducks around here, probably a little smaller than a crow. They are apparently somewhat rare around here since this is only the second one I've ever seen, and the first was much farther away than this one.

2012-11-22-04.jpg

Cute. I love the smooth water and damn near perfect reflection. a friend of mine took a bunch of shots of these little guys this season...she loves them.

Thanks, they really are cute. So tiny compared to other waterbirds, much smaller than even a Coot.

And they can REALLY travel underwater! What I've read about them states that they don't like to fly and can't walk very well, but underwater they are like a fish. I watched this one for a long time, and he would dive and then pop up a hundred feet from where he went down.

looks similiar to what we call mud hens. the bald eagles eat them

looks similiar to what we call mud hens. the bald eagles eat them

According to Google (yes, I had to look it up) a mud hen is an American Coot:

2012-11-03-02.jpg

but it could be that Mud Hen means different things in different places.

A lovely shot of an odd little bird. (first one)

Love the water.

A lovely shot of an odd little bird. (first one)

Love the water.

Thanks! I really liked the water to. I'm not sure what gave it that gold and silver metallic color, there wasn't anything around that I recall being that shade, but I Guess something was ;)

Coots are actually kind of weird to. They have enormous 3-toed, un-webbed feet with little individual paddles on the toes. They make a cackling sound like someone cracked a walnut ;)

Nice shot of a Pied-billed Grebe. It is sharp, reflections are just great and you have a catchlight in the eye. I have seen Bald Eagles take these guys as well as Coots. They are an equal-opportunity predator when it comes to waterfowl.

WesternGuy

Nice shot of a Pied-billed Grebe. It is sharp, reflections are just great and you have a catchlight in the eye. I have seen Bald Eagles take these guys as well as Coots. They are an equal-opportunity predator when it comes to waterfowl.

WesternGuy
Thanks, glad you liked it.

That's a good point regarding the Eagle. If they can eat it they are going to and not worry about whether it's a Coot or a Grebe or anything else.

Gorgeous shot! I really like the water, reflection, heck, everything. Very well done :)

Gorgeous shot! I really like the water, reflection, heck, everything. Very well done :)

Thanks, Judi. I took a bunch of shots of him (her?) and this was by far my favorite because of the color of the water and the reflection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back