Pinhole on Lens

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,
I know you can make a pinhole camera by removing the lens and cover with a pinhole but If I was to make a pin prick in some foil and then place the foil over the end of the lens, does this enlarge the image or make the image appear more closeup?

Thanks

I don't think putting the pinhole in front of the lens would work put I don't know for sure. If you want more magnification you need to increase the focal length (distance between pinhole and film). You could do that by making a pinhole in a body cap and use extension tubes (no glass) between the cap and the camera body. As the distance between pinhole and film increases, the amount of light reaching the film will decrease and you will need longer exposures. Also, the optimal size for the pinhole will depend on the focal length. I hope that helps.

hi,
I know you can make a pinhole camera by removing the lens and cover with a pinhole but If I was to make a pin prick in some foil and then place the foil over the end of the lens, does this enlarge the image or make the image appear more closeup?

Thanks

no, it doesn't. I tried this on my 50mm 1.4 and all it did was give me an insanely small aperture. needed very long exposures to get the picture, but they didn't look odd at all, just blurry from not sharp edges on my pinhole job.

I used a cheapo lens cap, drilled a small hole in it and covered it with black tape. Then used a pin to poke a hole in the tape.

I want to do the body cap but I need to figure out how to make it dust proof. long exposures with an open hole are asking for just problems. Also I think my body cap is a translucent white color.

I'd imagine that gluing a cheap, clear UV filter to a body cap with a pinhole would make it dustproof and not interfere with the photo too much. YOu could probably just go to a store and buy a cheap piece of scrap glass or replacement picture frame glass and cut a square to put in front of your body cap pinhole too.

i disagree about the uv filter, i could definatly see the glass interfering with a small enough pinhole.

secondly i don't think i would worry about the dust too much if you make a small enough pinhole. i doubt you get any more dust than you normally would get in there, and if your not always leaving the pinhole body cap on then it shouldn't be an issue.

i've made my own pinhole body caps before, and will say that it would probobly be better to cut a part of a coke can out, cut a big hole in the body cap and make a good pinhole on the aluminum, and seal it to the body cap.

if you take the smallest needle you can buy at wal-mart (they are really thin, and oddly long) break it in half, take a clothespin and push it into the wood inside the griping part, and then allow the needle to press against the aluminium and rotate it (like a drill) and slowly apply more pressure. also, i think it helps to sand over the hole before its all the way through (both sides) then once its all the way through sand it more, you should lose all those wiered reflections you may get from the burrs.

something about leaving an open hole (still large enough to fit dust in) while the shutter is up (since its going to be a guessing game on expsosure, probably a few tries) just doesnt sit will with me. I may give it a try though since I do have my trusty rocket blower to help out with the dust problem.

You could ..............glue a thin sheet ot plastic from the molded plastic of a pack of batteries, or something else molded in clear plastic glued to cardboard.

Most reactions

Back