Pinhole project

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few days ago in another thread, limr said "I bet one of your plastic horrors could be modified!".

Well OK then...

Thinking that they are attending a casting call for props in a remake of that 50's hit Martian Car Wash Girls Invade Saskatoon, three Brownie Hawkeyes mistakenly wander into Dr. Frankendan's pinhole conversion lab.

$015 copy.jpg

A "volunteer" was selected, and reduced to a pile of bits

$020.JPG

and a successful lens replacement preformed.

$022.JPG

Unfortunately, the position of the pinhole disc, although a pretty good focal length, was in a tunnel created by the shutter assembly so the images although not bad for the first hole making attempt were heavily vignetted.

$BHP 1-002 - Copy.jpg $BHP 1-006 - Copy.jpg $BHP 1-007 - Copy.jpg

HP5+ mostly sunny 5 - 6 sec Image area on the 6x6 neg only 2 1/2 cm dia.

Back to the O.R. Enlarging the hole in the shutter plate possible, discarding it altogether possible as well but nice to have an internal shutter.
Placed the pinhole disc out front, seems to project a larger image now. I'll epoxy a nut to the bottom of the box for a tripod , and do another test drive.

$045.JPG $050.JPG

..to be continued..

I'm trying something similar with my C330 but not got the pinhole sorted yet
This pinhole seems way too big. What did you do with the glass ?

Chapter II .

Much better position of the pinhole, focal length however a bit long so looks like 70 mm perspective on a 35 mm camera. Happy with the results for first go. Have to learn how to aim the thing.

Probably the most photographed tree in southwest Alberta. Was clinging to life five years ago but dead now.
BHP 2-001 - Copy.jpg

..equally dead bush..
BHP 2-004.jpg

Early Snow
BHP 2-008 - Copy.jpg

and 20 sec exposure plus two hits with a flash thingy still wasn't enough light, always next time..
BHP 2-009.jpg

all shot on HP5, D76 1:1, outside ones, bright sun 4 - 5 sec, snowy tree about 8 - 10 sec.

I particularly like the first two, but I actually kind of like the last one, I don't think it's too dark really. I gave you a 'winner'! just because... I like that better than the new thumbs up. lol

More seriously I do like your results, I haven't progressed beyond experimenting and figuring out not to pinhole out the car window (vibration, keeping it steady long enough).

Camera movement is a big problem it seems with these as the image is a bit fuzzy anyway. Next time around I'll choose a less detailed subject for the table top shots and do 30 sec + exposures. Image in the last one mainly compliments of PSE. Pretty happy with the DIY beer can pinhole though, looks like I got it round and about the right size.

wow, it useful ) thank you for sharing)

Chapter III

Mrs. H's little boy Victor's classic narrowly escapes surgery as "Pinhole" doesn't seem to be mentioned in company publications..

002s.jpg

Spot's little brother Kenny not so lucky

010s.jpg

Canon P&S took a peek, said frame was full..

012s.jpg

set up some stuff, different shapes and like that. First with the Ricoh 50..

K1000Ptest-007s.jpg

Then a series with the pinhole cap starting at 1/4 sec then 1/2, 1, 2, 4 and so on. Chose 1 sec. Looks like the focal length almost the same, perhaps a little wider.

K1000Ptest020s.jpg

then the old tree, winged it at 2 sec..
K1000Ptest027s.jpg

finished the roll inside, couple of ordinary light bulbs in desk lamps, shot a series starting at 10 sec, chose this

K1000Ptest004s.jpg

Most reactions

Back