Pink flower for C&C

Yvonne_Dubai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got so many pictures that I would like your opinion on, but when I take a look at all your pictures I realise I have soooo much to learn, so we'll take it step by step. Now, from reading about a thousand other posts I've realised that I should critique my own photo first so I'll do that with this one. I've never critiqued a picture, so bear with me while I try on my own. I can't find the post that helped you on how to critique, can someone give me the link so I can do it properly for the next picture? Thanks

This picture was taken on Alert Bay, a little island off Vancouver Island, about 30(?) minutes by ferry from Port McNeill. As you can see it was very overcast but it was still beautiful.

DSC00082.jpg

What I like (always start positive right?)
I like the position of the flower, to the left of the centre. I like how the pink stands out from the grey background and how your eye gets drawn to the flower. I like how the background looks a little bit blurry.

What I wish was different
I wish the top of the flower wasn't cut off and that the horizon was straight.

Well, that's all for now. As I learn I'll be able to write more.

Thanks for any comments.

Your concept has a lot going for it. The purple of the flower contrasts nicely with the greys in the rest of the scene, and helps to break up all that solid grey sky.

As you mentioned, there is a real tilt problem that easy to correct in most editing programs. You're way too close to the flower with the result of cutting off the top of it. Move back and let it breath some. There is also a sail boat just entering the scene in the very left hand side. You should have waited for it to pass, or have it positioned to the right of the flower, which I think would have added just that much more interest, and break up more of that flat grey background.

Its a start, and you didn't do half bad on your own CC ;)

There are a couple things I notice right off the bat. First, the photo appears to be generally underexposed, likely a product of trying to shoot landscape on a cloudy day where picking up enough light can be difficult. The result is that the flower looks dull in color, lacking any real vibrance. Second, there are a few small things which really bother me. As you mentioned the top of the plant is cut off. Next, the clouds really have little to no detail, so they don't contribute to the photo. Also, you have part of a boat creeping into the photo to the left. Having a boat in the photo might work, but only have that small bit detracts from it.

My overall suggestion would be to either step back next time and take a true landscape with a smaller aperture (higher f-stop), or to set up in portrait so you can stay close but still capture the flower's height. Lastly, its generally recommended that on overcast days you should avoid shooting landscapes, else they turn out flat. Don't get me wrong, landscapes can be shot on overcast days and come out great, but it takes some experience in knowing how to have your subjects still "pop" despite the flat background. Better to stick close to your subjects, and focus on the details so you can really bring out those great colors in the mean time!

Just my 2 cents!

Toga

Thanks so much for your feedback Joel. I took another one, maybe this is better. Really appreciate your comments. (I'm a noob in photography but I'm a real dumb*** in editing... will get onto that too :) )

DSC00081.jpg

Thanks so much for your comments Togalive, I can really work with that :) I'm going to be a nerd and write this down !

Your 2nd picture is better as the flowers are now comfortably fitting within your image. Did you notice the sail boat? If so, and hopefully you did, you should have waited until the boat was between the two flowers, or until it was out of the picture. Just looks a little odd that you cut it in half. Looks like the weather was gettng worse as those clouds are getting lower and lower.

Yeah at this point it started raining a bit and I continued walking around the island. I did notice the sail boat and you're right, that would have looked nicer in between the flowers. Thanks again for your comments, they're much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back