Pittsburgh—let's do this!

No time to go on an outing for myself with 2 kids that still "like" mom and dad. Maybe once they hit the teenage years and can't stand to even look at us, let alone be seen at the Pittsburgh Zoo as we were today, I'll be able to go off and do something for myself, hehehe :mrgreen:

I was quite disappointed in the Pittsburgh Zoo. Haven't been there since I was probably 10 myself. Well, the kids had fun and that's what matters. I was hoping to use the camera, but really couldn't see anything interesting. Lion tails peaking out from behind the rocks they were hiding behind, occasionally seeing the young gorilla's heads pop up from behind the big log where they were playing..... Nothing is in view there....

I'm game. Saturday or Sunday mornings are usually good for me. Any thoughts? There's the usual tourist opps (Mt. Washington, etc.), but there's also plenty of good street or urban shots with all the ethnic neighborhoods or industry areas.

Saturday or Sunday mornings are good for me, too. I like the idea of the urban shots. Let's see if I can drum up some more interest and then we'll set a date.

I was quite disappointed in the Pittsburgh Zoo. Haven't been there since I was probably 10 myself. Well, the kids had fun and that's what matters. I was hoping to use the camera, but really couldn't see anything interesting. Lion tails peaking out from behind the rocks they were hiding behind, occasionally seeing the young gorilla's heads pop up from behind the big log where they were playing..... Nothing is in view there....

Sorry you had a bad outing. I've had an outing last fall that was great - lots of decent shots of the animals. I even had a few of the polar bears swimming above me while I was in that glass tube.

I also have several young ones - one 3 and one 5 - so my weekends tend to be busier than when I had a social life.:wink:

I'll be in Pittsburgh in June for the Pirates vs Yanks series!! I live in Texas...I am a Pitts sports fan!! Got a few pics of our teams on my site...
www.talkephotography.com

Any cool locations to shoot when I come out. I visit about once a year...thanks for the scoops!! Pete

Pete - nice shots on your gallery. Beside the obvious shots of Pittsburgh area (from Mount Washington of the Golden Triangle, downtown shots of PPG, Point State Park, the sports venues, etc.,), there's a lot of great neighborhoods. Oakland/Squirrel Hill/Shadyside have plenty of urban and architecture shots - also plenty of people, so if you're looking for urban portraits. The rivers and particularly all the bridges are great subjects. Other neighborhoods include Bloomfield (Italian), Lawrenceville or Troy Hill(Slovak), Polish Hill (self-described), Squirrel Hill (Jewish), etc.

If you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, there's Fallingwater and another of his houses out in the Ohiopyle/Ligonier area - about an hour east of the city.

hey! im from pittsburgh, north huntingdon actually, like 30 min away from the city. i was looking for some other people around here as well

i live in Green Tree. my favorite outing is the Zoo. i usually get some decent shots when i'm there.
dsc_0038.jpg

i like walking around downtown too. i'm not creative enough to think of other places to go though.

Hey
My girlfriend and I are moving to Pittsburgh in a month. We don't know anyone there and would like to find some friends to shoot photos with and such.

Rule #1, if you don't become a diehard Steeler fan, DON'T COME!

Rule #2, I don't care if you like football or not, but you dang well had better become a Penguin fan!

And you'd better hurry, the Pens are tearing it up as of late. Though, they couldn't buy an open net goal last night, including Fleury's attempt at his first goal.

:D

Rule #1, if you don't become a diehard Steeler fan, DON'T COME!

Rule #2, I don't care if you like football or not, but you dang well had better become a Penguin fan!

And you'd better hurry, the Pens are tearing it up as of late. Though, they couldn't buy an open net goal last night, including Fleury's attempt at his first goal.

:D

We were seriously talking about this. We know we need to go out and buy a steelers jersey or something.. or we would deff not fit in. But hockey.. who can't get enough of that.

good rules to live by.

do you know what part of pittsburgh you're moving to?
where are you moving from?

good rules to live by.

do you know what part of pittsburgh you're moving to?
where are you moving from?

Yea I am moving to Penn Ave. It is near Heinz Hall I think. I am coming up from Fl.

Just be careful when driving if you don't like bridges. There tends to be a bridge or two in Pittsburgh, :D.

Can you even drive in Pittsburgh without crossing over at least 20 bridges or overpasses?

I'm from further up north and I worked at the Heinz plant for a short term. I remember my first day trying to get to Heinz. I kept driving around and around and around Heinz with no idea how to actually get there. I could see it right off to my right, but I must have circled it about 20 times before finally finding the off-ramp that took me down there. I knew I was close though, because all I could smell was ketchup, LOL. I couldn't eat ketchup for years after working there for 6 months.

Most reactions

Back