Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its that time again!
Time for the Pixmedic (thisisprobablythelasttimethisisgoingtohappen) photo contest!

contestdoge-2.JPG

The rules are simple.
I will announce a theme. If you wish to participate in the contest, post ONE picture (taken by you) that you feel best fits the theme. Pictures taken prior to the contest are admissible as long as they were taken by you and have NOT been submitted in another of my contests.
The judging is based primarily on theme appropriateness and creativity, not on the technical aspects or difficulty of the shot.
Only one entry per person is allowed, but you ARE allowed to edit your post and change pictures up until the contest closes. Failure to follow contest rules will lead to a disqualification.

to participate in this contest, post ONE photo in this thread that you feel best encompasses your vision of the theme. You can be as literal as you want, or think outside the box with subtlety and innuendo.
The contest will run for approximately one month, and at the end of a very vague and possibly changing time period, the wife and I will decide on a winner.

This months theme is....
"The Perfect Imperfect Portrait"

The jist of this theme is a portrait that despite having what might technically be considered "flaws", resonates with you in some way that makes you feel that it does not need to be "corrected".
A brief explanation with each entry will be helpful.

the prize will be the usual (a $50 visa gift card, or $50 by paypal)

the contest will run until the end of June.
the wife and I reserve the right to edit, change, add to, subtract from, or cancel this contest at any time for any dumb old reason.

Last edited:
im going to play along with this one....

I never got the lighting quite right. it was either a little too much light, or a little too much shadow. i never got him to "fade" as well as i would have liked. I struggled with the crop.
however, the pose and facial expression really struck me and this wound up being my favorite shot from the set.

DSCF5230 by pixmedic, on Flickr

Self portraits are tough
_CJH4350-Edit.jpg

(Update) This photo is riddled with errors; it's slightly out of focus, the light ratio is off, hotspots are slightly blown out, shirt was bunched up in spots (stamped out most of it), you can see the bottom of my nostrils... My girlfriend really loves this photo because it has my normal crooked smile. I normally try to purposely use my "picture smile" but she was making fun of my "smell the fart squinch" haha! I personally hate this portrait, it shows who I am and not who I want to present to others. She definitely was spot on though, on Facebook my family can't stop commenting how "me" it is.

Last edited:
Thanks again for Pixmedic for having cash that is burning a hole in your pocket, er, uh, I mean generously sponsoring this contest!

Suddenly hard light means chiaroscuro and some ornamental pattern sometimes.
It must be a shot with a key light from a generator and a fill from an ambient light. As a result, strobe became a fill, sun became a key.

IMG_6031.jpg

Last edited:
Not a great shot, but it is one of my favourites after actually asking before just taking a shot. She was a lovely lady to talk too and liked the print I gave her. X-T20 + XF 35mm f2 the end of last month. This might be my favourite photo I have taken of a lady after asking her, but an expert would say, it`s wrong because of her arm being cut off and the dog is not as sharp as the young lady. Even though the sun was high in the sky, it might not be perfect for an expert, but for someone like me who is learning I think it is not to bad a start.

Pretty Lady by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
bump!
dont forget to explain why you feel the photo has imperfections and why you feel they either enhance the image, OR, fail to detract from the overall image because of other factors.

I was doing a photo shoot and after 45 minutes, I guess she was bored or just being a kid and started twirling around.

photostudio_1528291637886.jpg

Nikon F3 TriX print. First off, I missed focus on this shot as I was shooting street and thought they were a zone 4ft away, which they were but I had it set at 8ft and forgot. So, no need to focus, just frame and shoot. Fail on the focus. They were in love so I thought it had some merit as a print, which I sent them 3 this week. This one was a triple goof, poor zone focus, too long in the tea bath, poor placement of baby oil on the glass plate. I didn't send them this one but the only one I could scan and submit. However, they loved the prints and said they were sending me a gift card... I just think that love is special, even if it's out of focus. I like this shot for that reason and figured it was a good choice for me to me submit, rather than create one this month.

img433E.jpg

Last edited:
@sergezap Those whites are definitely blown out, but the beauty of that young lady is so overwhelming, I can look at nothing but her face.

The sun was setting, creating a lovely golden light and I was outside with my dog Ike on a small landing strip. He was sitting obediently, looking at me with his head tilted in a very charming and quizzical manner. Just as I was about to shoot him...SQUIRREL! And off he went, trailing his lead behind him like a blue line.

I love the shot because it is so him...fast and a blur and spontaneous and very pretty driven--in some ways it's the perfect portrait of him. As a classic portrait it's an epic fail--he's out of focus, the photo is full of negative space, and you can't even see his face--just a blur of white and sable.
DSC_0080.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back