place to order prints online?

Two of the highest rated labs are http://www.mpix.com/ and http://www.adorama.com/. Both offer excellent prints and very fast delivery. Personally I use Adorama for price, ease of upload, paper choice, size choices and delivery speed and delivery cost. All of my prints from Adorama have been excellent. I use a calibrated monitor and my prints have never been corrected by Adorama and they arrive exactly as seen on my monitor. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Wondering if anyone has ever used the local drug store (CVS etc.) for prints? The prices are ridiculously low:

4x6 $0.19
5x7 $1.49
8x10 $3.99

Obviously, you don't have a lot of size options, but if you're only doing those sizes, I wonder if it's worth it? Anyone have any experience with drug store photo printing?

Cinka, the price you have there on 4x6's is good, but it is still much higher than many of the professional online printers.

I also now use WHCC - and like everyone else has said, the customer service is great. I recently ordered an 8x8 album, and when it arrived, it was damaged. I phoned from the post office, and they set me up with a replacement book no questions asked.

Cinka, the price you have there on 4x6's is good, but it is still much higher than many of the professional online printers.

I also now use WHCC - and like everyone else has said, the customer service is great. I recently ordered an 8x8 album, and when it arrived, it was damaged. I phoned from the post office, and they set me up with a replacement book no questions asked.

WHCC has 4x6's listed at .70 and 1.00 - this is going to sound stupid, but that's just one picture, right? Or is that a sheet?

I'm wondering if using the corner drug store is passable. Obviously, if I was doing a wedding, I'd go with a higher quality printer, but for basic prints like wallets and so forth.

Sry - I don't think I was clear. The 4x6 price you have is great, but the 5x7 and 8x10 is cheaper at WHCC. The best way is to see if the quality is good is to try them out. Each place is different. If I need something fast, I will use my local drug store printer, but they do have great quality. I have compared them to others, and I know what to expect from their machines, staff, and the 20 min print time is a bonus as well.

Sry - I don't think I was clear. The 4x6 price you have is great, but the 5x7 and 8x10 is cheaper at WHCC. The best way is to see if the quality is good is to try them out. Each place is different. If I need something fast, I will use my local drug store printer, but they do have great quality. I have compared them to others, and I know what to expect from their machines, staff, and the 20 min print time is a bonus as well.

Ah. Got it. Good to know. It seems like will be times I'll use the local drug store and others, online places. WHCC looks good. A lot of people seem to like them.

Wondering if anyone has ever used the local drug store (CVS etc.) for prints? The prices are ridiculously low:

4x6 $0.19
5x7 $1.49
8x10 $3.99

Mpix prices: 4x6 $0.29 ($0.19 if you don't need corrections), 5x7 $0.99, 8x10 $1.99, 8x12 $2.99

I'm wondering if using the corner drug store is passable. Obviously, if I was doing a wedding, I'd go with a higher quality printer, but for basic prints like wallets and so forth.

The machines, paper, and chems are all pretty much the same. I mean Kodak and Fuji don't offer a crappy grade of paper; all of their stuff is top of the line no matter who they are selling it to. Photo labs usually have more options, but it's the training of the equipment operators that's the real difference.

Shipping's the real kick in the rear if you're ordering small runs from Mpix. That's their only downside. Larger runs, it can be very nice.

The machines, paper, and chems are all pretty much the same. I mean Kodak and Fuji don't offer a crappy grade of paper; all of their stuff is top of the line no matter who they are selling it to. Photo labs usually have more options, but it's the training of the equipment operators that's the real difference.

That's true. Skill does come in handy and I get the feeling the chick behind the counter at CVS, probably doesn't care about quality. Then again, with their fast turn around, I'm sure if they got it wrong, they'd be able to correct it rather quickly - and for quicky jobs, you can beat the turnaround.

Ah. Got it. Good to know. It seems like will be times I'll use the local drug store and others, online places. WHCC looks good. A lot of people seem to like them.
Inks and paper aren't exactly the same... the difference is going to come down to archival quality. If you are working with portraits and your clients are paying you for an investment that they would like to pass down to their children and hopefully grandchildren then the quality will matter. Using archival paper, archival inks and having a very qualified group running your project is a must. Whether I'm charging a model for their headshot, a family portrait or a corporate client I treat them all with the exact same level of customer service and give them all the same quality. If a client complains about how their photos faded in a couple of years and they want new ones done I don't want to try and think back... "was that one of the sets I had done at Walgreens?"

When it comes to quality of service your clients will know the difference in your attitude if you treat them differently from your higher paying clients.

Inks and paper aren't exactly the same... the difference is going to come down to archival quality. If you are working with portraits and your clients are paying you for an investment that they would like to pass down to their children and hopefully grandchildren then the quality will matter. Using archival paper, archival inks and having a very qualified group running your project is a must. Whether I'm charging a model for their headshot, a family portrait or a corporate client I treat them all with the exact same level of customer service and give them all the same quality. If a client complains about how their photos faded in a couple of years and they want new ones done I don't want to try and think back... "was that one of the sets I had done at Walgreens?"

When it comes to quality of service your clients will know the difference in your attitude if you treat them differently from your higher paying clients.

Right. Except, if CVS uses Kodak paper, isn't there a standard of quality there?

Also, I don't think printed photos have the same gravity they once did. Clients usually get digital copies as well, so if they lose a print, they can recreate it. I guess it depends on the client, if they want that extra archival quality or not...which most don't.

Right. Except, if CVS uses Kodak paper, isn't there a standard of quality there?

Also, I don't think printed photos have the same gravity they once did. Clients usually get digital copies as well, so if they lose a print, they can recreate it. I guess it depends on the client, if they want that extra archival quality or not...which most don't.
None of my portrait clients get high quality digital images. The only exception is my corporate clients but they pay more. There is a difference between papers. There may be standards but archival is archival. WHCC, among other printing houses, will only use archival paper. I will say it again... there is a difference. If you care about your clients you will treat them all equally. If anyone caught you going to CVS to pick up their prints they won't feel impressed that's for sure. I would actually ask for a refund if it was me and my famillies portraits. Maybe I'm a bit of a snob but hey I'm also saving up for a Canon 6100 for my business, too.

None of my portrait clients get high quality digital images. The only exception is my corporate clients but they pay more. There is a difference between papers. There may be standards but archival is archival. WHCC, among other printing houses, will only use archival paper. I will say it again... there is a difference. If you care about your clients you will treat them all equally. If anyone caught you going to CVS to pick up their prints they won't feel impressed that's for sure. I would actually ask for a refund if it was me and my famillies portraits. Maybe I'm a bit of a snob but hey I'm also saving up for a Canon 6100 for my business, too.

First of all, take it easy. Playing Devil's Advocate doesn't mean I print at CVS. The only reason I mention it is because a client asked. She's a struggling student and wanted to know the difference...and then I thought, hey I'd like to know too.

And duh, yeah there's a difference in paper, I think we all know that. I don't know, maybe not everyone knows that. And please don't insinuate that I treat my lower paying clients any differently than my higher paying clients. That's just inconsiderate. I treat every client with respect, excellent customer service, and I always go above and beyond.

I guess you have every right to be a snob, but what if a client specifically asks for CVS prints? I could happen. I suppose I would try to convince them otherwise, but if that didn't work? CVS it is. ;)

Most reactions

Back