place to order prints online?

First of all, take it easy. Playing Devil's Advocate doesn't mean I print at CVS. The only reason I mention it is because a client asked. She's a struggling student and wanted to know the difference...and then I thought, hey I'd like to know too.
Sorry if you thought I was being abrupt or short. I actually had someone recommend that I take my prints to Walmart (I would never shop there let alone have my photos printed there socio-political reasons) for a business that was buying framed artwork to hang on their walls. I believe that if you value your work, whether it's portraiture or fine art, you will give it the best treatment available to you. It comes out in the end of how you value yourself as well. I treat my work as well as I expect my clients to treat it. I take special care to make sure they see how I treat it. If a client asked me if I could save money for them by printing them at a discount pharmacy, Costco, etc. I would let them know that the quality of my work is too important to be treated that way. Why would I charge between $75-250 for a sitting fee and then save money getting cheap prints. The quality of your work is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

And duh, yeah there's a difference in paper, I think we all know that. I don't know, maybe not everyone knows that. And please don't insinuate that I treat my lower paying clients any differently than my higher paying clients. That's just inconsiderate. I treat every client with respect, excellent customer service, and I always go above and beyond.
I wasn't insinuating anything. I was just stating how I would feel if I saw my photographer picking up my portraits from such a place. I never said that you had or would have treated your photography as mentioned. I expect to pay well for services and to get treated as if I do. I want quality and that is why I do. You were asking for advice and I'm stating how I would feel if it were me. I don't make exceptions for clients in this regard. My time and work is worth more than that. It will also send them a message about the value of my work.

I have worked in several industries that were very competitive. I have never been the cheapest guy in town... but I have always been very successful. It has been due to the value and professionalism that my clients perceive from me. How valuable are the images that you take? I'm not being fecicious but it's a question that should be asked. My comments aren't meant to be rude but to share what most clients will perceive if there was a question about where their photos came from. I am trying to give you the advice you were asking about... I want you to succeed in your business and this is the best advice I can give. :hug::

I guess you have every right to be a snob, but what if a client specifically asks for CVS prints? I could happen. I suppose I would try to convince them otherwise, but if that didn't work? CVS it is. ;)

As stated above, if my client requested CVS prints I would recommend they go to Walmart to get there portraits done. I wouldn't allow a client to decide the level of professionalism that my business potrayed. My mission statement in this regards is to give my clients the best and most professional service I can offer. CVS prints is in stark contrast to that statement. They wouldn't get me as a photographer. I know that when you are starting out it is hard to turn down business. If you do and you stick to your guns you will be rewarded. Your clients will respect your unwillingness to de-value your work. It will lead to a better quality client list which is the continued key to your success. You should trust me on this it is the same for just about any industry.

I am going to make a suggestion for some reading material. This book has been a great one for me and my business and I recommend it for anyone who is starting or considering to start a photography business, Photographer's Market: Guide to Building your Photography Business by Vik Orenstein.

WHCC has 4x6's listed at .70 and 1.00 - this is going to sound stupid, but that's just one picture, right? Or is that a sheet?

I'm wondering if using the corner drug store is passable. Obviously, if I was doing a wedding, I'd go with a higher quality printer, but for basic prints like wallets and so forth.

WHCC also does wallets directly, fyi. They also have a print fullfillment for cheaper, but then you have to pay shipping (Which is normally free)

Oh, another vote for WHCC.

One site you may want to check out is blurb, they don't print photos, but you can upload yours and they will turn them into a nice coffee table book. There are a variety of book sizes and hard/softcover options as well. You should check it out. It's free to get the software and cheap to print the book. Plus others can buy your books and you make money.

Make your own book with Blurb

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Shutterfly? I know a couple of people who get all their prints and products through them but I haven't actually seen any prints from them myself so I was wondering if someone could tell me anything about their quality? I like the feature where they allow you to send the prints to whomever you want rather than just yourself...but wanted some more information before I order anything from them.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Shutterfly? I know a couple of people who get all their prints and products through them but I haven't actually seen any prints from them myself so I was wondering if someone could tell me anything about their quality? I like the feature where they allow you to send the prints to whomever you want rather than just yourself...but wanted some more information before I order anything from them.

I haven't seen there stuff but I know that you can set up a drop shipment to your client through WHCC. Just another option from the folks where I trust their quality and workmanship.

I have had a lot of luck with iprintfromhome.com as well. They use Kodak papers and inks including metalic papers and inks which I really like although they are a little more expensive. The only thing I dont like is shipping. I dont generally order a ton of prints at a time so it ends up costing me a little more but the print quality is well worth it for me.

Thanks guys !!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back