places

beaverx37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
how do you find a good place to take a picture i rarely come across a good picture opportunity

dont look, take your camera everywhere with you... the pictures will find you when you stop looking...

To echo Thorhammer, and probably not the answer you probably want to hear, but I think it's more about developing your eye than finding places to shoot. A good photographer can take a good photograph just about anywhere. It's true that an exceptional place can help a lot, but even then, it takes a good eye to capture it well.

Just keep shooting wherever you are. Take the images and play with crops. Think about how you might have shot them differently. The more you shoot, the more you see.

I think the quote from Louis Pasteur applies: "In the fields of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind."

Practice, keep your equipment with you, and keep your eye open.

I was going to say the same as Thorhammer and MarkC are saying here: there is no need to go and LOOK for good places to photograph, if you start developing an inner eye for the frame, you can frame about any place, subject, thing, matter ... check out the latest photos of our member Spako for things to photograph even while you are at home, inside your own four walls ... there are many others here but Spako comes to mind immediately right now.

And you must learn to see. Not straining to look for THE place, just see. And if you feel that you wish for high mountains, deep rivers, thundering waterfalls, deep lakes, an ocean or any of those things that just are not on everyone's doorstep, switch your views to what is there. Frame it, go up close, frame the detail, see if it works ... if you take digital photography your chances to go wrong without any losses are enormous ... and you might find out there is so much to see and frame right around you. And with the changing seasons, light, depth of focus you can play so much that there may always be a good new photo of the same thing as your result.

beaverx, when I first bought my camera, I spent a lot of time looking for the "perfect" thing to photograph and I didn't really enjoy my camera. After relaxing a little bit, I find that things just jump out at me and I have to shoot them right now! The best learning experience for me is to just go out and take a few hundred pictures. Whether I like the pictures I've taken or not, I always learn a little something.

Christie

I guess you were thinking of spectacular sceneries? or anything, where the subject of your photographs gives you the show?

those things are often easy to capture and often you don't learn much when shooting them.

On the other hand to make ordinary things look interesting, this is where you learn alot about photography. go to your local church, residential areas, whatever ... look for the details there, for the perspectives, for the moods ... and finally you will produce great images of dull places! often waiting for the right light helps alot, visit places more than once, morning hours, late evening ... bright daylight is often rather boring ...

Just look at this_photo for reference of things you can find just about everywhere and only need to "see".

My nephew and I did a thing for a while called great shootout. I named a thing that i knew was in both houses and he did the same.

Like this a light...

my shot was
2jc8x7n.jpg

Its not a great place to shoot but then it isnt bad either. has nothing ot do with where.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back