planing a trip to Mexico, Dominican Republic.

If you are near Puerto Plata, check out the Damajaqua Cascades (27 Waterfalls). I went in 2008 and it was one of the most amazing experiences!

Although you won't want to bring your gear, unless you have an underwater camera. I had a crappy little underwater point n shoot (film/800iso) and my pictures were pretty dark.

Still, it was amazing!

Well, check out this link to Cancun murders, not to mention other tourist areas.

cancun murders - Google Search
First three links
Eight murders in Cancun bar - Long Island International Travel | Examiner.com : 8 Mexicans killed at a bar in Cancun.. not tourists, mexicans.. it was a local bar
CBC News Indepth: Mexico Killings - Same **** can happen anywhere
Cancun Murder: 6 Bodies Found in Cave, 3 With Hearts Cut Out - ktla.com - Mexicans.
They aint killing tourists, unless your involved in the drug activity.
****, this happens EVERYWHERE!
new york murders - Google Search
boston murders - Google Search
baltimore murders - Google Search
Detriot murders - Google Search

Well, too bad, i just booked trough a friend of mine who is a travel agent, at the Bluebay grand esmeralda. at 10 min from playa del carmen. Should i be afraid of crazy mexicans?! haha

playa del carmen is beautiful. Very safe area, no crazy mexicans other than those in the flea markets. I've stayed near playa del carmen many times; youll love it

Well, check out this link to Cancun murders, not to mention other tourist areas.

First three links
Eight murders in Cancun bar - Long Island International Travel | Examiner.com : 8 Mexicans killed at a bar in Cancun.. not tourists, mexicans.. it was a local bar
Cancun Murder: 6 Bodies Found in Cave, 3 With Hearts Cut Out - ktla.com - Mexicans.

Well, too bad, i just booked trough a friend of mine who is a travel agent, at the Bluebay grand esmeralda. at 10 min from playa del carmen. Should i be afraid of crazy mexicans?! haha

playa del carmen is beautiful. Very safe area, no crazy mexicans other than those in the flea markets. I've stayed near playa del carmen many times; youll love it

right on! she totally recommended something closer to the city since its alot easier and faster to get on the buses that goes to the mayan ruins and stuff like that.

First three links

right on! she totally recommended something closer to the city since its alot easier and faster to get on the buses that goes to the mayan ruins and stuff like that.
yeah you'll be a short ride from tulum (mayan ruins) and a bunch of other activities. Playa del carmen at night is great for dinner, dont be afraid to try a new place. great food.

I'm researching Mexico right now, and I'm probably going to Playa del Carmen in May. I know the country as a whole is not the safest, but I hear this area is OK right now. Plus I've been to Haiti on a missions trip walking through through the city... and I've been to the DR which is not safe at all off resort. Haven't had any problems either time. Haiti was truly dangerous, because I was staying with and working with the people, but things are not as bad in most of these countries as people make them out to be. They are about as dangerous as being in downtown St. Lois at 4am... not great, but you'll probably be OK.

IN the DR I stayed at The Occidental Grand resort. It was not the most luxurious resort I've stayed at, but honestly it was the most fun! Seriously good times had there. Decent size, GREAT pool/bar, and great beach. Opt for the Royal Club service, the better food and upgrades service will be worth every penny. Honestly couldn't recommend that resort highly enough. I've been tempted to go back several times, and the price is fantastic. It's only the desire for new adventure and variety that keeps me from returning

We have been to Mexico several times but not again due to the lawlessness & murders of tourists.
The lawlessness and murders occur near the border. Stay away from Tijuana. I've been to Cancun and Puerto Vallerta four times in the past two years with out any problem. Saying Mexico is lawless and has murders of tourists is like saying one murder in Detriot makes all of the United States unsafe.

Infact, a lot of Tijuana is safe as well. I have friends that go there twice a year (for the past 10 years) to help build houses.
Builders of Hope
NEVER a problem. Would I go there? Nah. I would stay away from the border. BUT THE REST OF MEXICO IS FINE!

Also, I don't know if the OP is from America, but we can't exactly legally travel to Cuba. You could take a flight from Mexico to Cuba, but with all that lawlessness you might not want to ;).

True, you got a point. I went to Tijuana a few years ago and i'm still alive. I also have a friend who went to Mexico last year(don't remember where) and she made it out with no problems i also have another friend who just got back from Mexico and didn't mention any issues.

My parents used to travel to Mexico all the time. I think you if you stay away from the borders and the city... basically just stick to your resort and touristy areas then you should be fine.

Most reactions

Back