Planning to get a DSLR for the first time.

nitris223

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at DSLR camera's off and on for the last couple of years. This year I have finally decided to take the plung. I have been reading post and reviews for the last few weeks about 8 hrs a day. I have information overload. I have been going back and forth between the Nikon D5100 and the Canon T3i. Leaning hard towards the nikon. I don't really care about video as I have a Sony camcorder for that.
My last camera was a Canon powershot A620 and I think I bought that 10 or more yrs ago. Still works and will be my camera for snowmobile and atv trips. I have a trip planned to Newfoundland this summer and I would like to have something better. Thinking about the D5100 because of the flip out screen (Iliked the option on my A620) and seems to rate better for picture taking along with fashioned more towards the new to DSLR people.

I have always wanted to have a more professional looking camera and use it more like a pro. Not that I ever plan on making money off my pictures but just better quality pictures. I have seen a few deals on the net , almost pulled the trigger on a referibshed one at Nikon but being only $55 cheaper then the new one I can get from Merkle Camera in Ontario and and full 2 yr warranty I didn't see a big savings. If it was $100 or more it might make it more appealing. I tried checking them out at the local Source store (Radio Shack) but all batteries were dead so all I got was how they feel in the hand. Returned 2 more times on different days and mentioned that the batteries were still dead and they didn't seem to care so I will take my money out of province. Doesn't matter to me when service is that crappy.

I plan on taking lots of pictures when I am in NFLD. I would like to look into a longer zoom lense. Checking out the Tamron 18mm-270mm for a all around lens when I don't want to carry any extras. Even the 55-300 or the 70-300 are interesting options. Also I plan on trying to get some wildlife photo's of Deer this fall.

If it wasn't for the flip out screen I would be looking into the T2i or even the D3100. I think they would work just fine for what I have planned in the near future, but the 5100 looks like it would take a lot longer to out grow.

I looked at buying used but the new sale prices pretty well making buying used not a option. They are almost the same prices sometimes used is priced higher. I would like to get something happening by next week so I have a few months to play with it before the trip. Still have to look into a back pack case, camera strap for the hiking trips, spare battery and what other essentials I may need on hand.

Is a D5100 going to be to much for a first DSLR.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the link. More money saved the better. Never even gave Amazon.ca a look , didn't have much luck with them a couple of weeks back trying to find something in Canada. Seen a few on the USA site and they were all closer to the $600 mark so I naturally figured it was higher on the CDN site and didn't bother. Going to check it out. Hope it's not a referb and wonder if I still get the 2 yr warranty. Seems like I read somewhere that Nikon is a little fussy with their warranty and where it was purchased. Has to be a authorized dealer or warranty is not accepted or something like that.

You can get it for a few dollars less from one of Amazon Canada's third party sellers. It always pays to be careful, but I have had very good luck buying brand new warrantied cameras from these sellers through Amazon.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Will Nikon honor the warranty through Amazon or it's third party sellers. Looks like there is a deal on a lens for a extra $50 off if put together in the cart. Now just to choose a extra lens. Probably try the 55-300 if I can find one.

Just purchased the D5100 from Amazon along with the 55-300 vr zoom lense with $50 off the lens price if bought it with the camera, got the lens for $219. I also bought the field guide book to go along with the camera. Should have it in my hands by thursday. All in with shipping and tax is $816. Could have went with free shipping and saved $20 but I wanted it for the weekend. My luck I won't get to play with it until sometime next week. To many other projects have been put on hold while I was reasearching a camera.

Most reactions

Back